Star Lounger
    Thanks

More problems with Windows Update KB2952664

Today I had a problem when I installed the update KB2952664 from the January round of updates. I know this is related to the upgrade to Windows 10, which I am not doing since Dell says the drivers in my computer cannot be counted on to upgrade. I have used GWX Control Panel to disable that upgrade. I went ahead and installed KB2952664 anyway as I have done in the past in case there was any other benefit. While it installed correctly, after that I lost the tray icon for Windows Update, and when I tried to run update from Control Panel I got an error 80244019. I uninstalled KB2952664 and restarted. Windows Update is working again. I still don't have the icon in the tray, which bothers me. Perhaps that is because there are no important updates waiting, although I thought I got it anyway. (I have hidden KB2952664.)

If anyone has any ideas to get the tray icon back that would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    I had the same problem and found the answer in another post in the lounge. Basically follow these steps:

Open the Group Policy Editor (Start > Run - type: "gpedit.msc")

Open the folders: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

In the right window select the entry "Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update"

Edit the Policy Setting and mark it: "Enabled"

Then Re-Boot.

The original post was HERE

I just went back to that thread and noticed that it was started by you last August in the Windows 7 Forum.
    Last edited by JC Zorkoff; 2016-01-30 at 17:20.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, JC. Actually, I had that problem a few months ago, and it baffled me for several weeks. However, when I found and used GWX Control Panel, it made that setting and several others that disabled the Windows 10 Update and gave me my Windows Update tray icon back. So I already have that setting.

I decided to restore to the point before I did today's updates. After that, Windows Update stopped working again, with the same error 80244019. However, I used the Windows Update Fixup from Microsoft. Now I seem to be back to normal, with the updates I made earlier now reappearing and my tray icon back.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Right click on the update and select Hide and then it won't get downloaded/installed.