3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"System Reserved" partition won't defragment

I've wondered about this for some time. It jumped to and stayed at 5% for about a year, and now just went up to 6%. I've tried to defrag it a few times but it just won't. I have Win 7 HP, 64 bit on a 1.5 TB HDD and 4 GB of RAM. It doesn't seem like this is normal. Has anyone else seen a situation like this? Here's a snip.

Defrag.jpg
    Last edited by CEScott; 2016-01-31 at 08:56. Reason: To correct typo's only

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    I've wondered about this for some time. It jumped to and stayed at 5% for about a year, and now just went up to 6%. I've tried to defrag it a few times but just won't. I have Win 7 HP, 64 bit on a 1.5 TB HDD and 4 MB of RAM. It doesn't seem like this is normal. Has anyone else seen a situation like this? Here's a snip.

Defrag.jpg
    That partition is usually created when installing the OS. It normally is not accessed or accessible, just leave it alone and don't worry about it. If you look at it in Disk Management you'll note it is a small partition, mine is 100MB out of 250GB.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, that's what sort of worries me - that it's only 100MB. 6% fragmentation seems a bit excessive in that small amount of space.

Thanks
    6% is not enough to be concerned about. This partition contains the boot loader information and is not used after boot. Let it be....

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    Yeah, that's what sort of worries me - that it's only 100MB. 6% fragmentation seems a bit excessive in that small amount of space.
    There's always a few files on a partition that simply can't be moved by the Operating System after it has been installed. Mine shows the System Reserved same as yours but after running Analyze disk shows 0%. Since there is no drive letter assigned nothing can be stored in that partition and nothing can influence it, quite normal and nothing to waste time worrying about. If running Analyze disk shows no problems all is good, could just be an anomaly in displaying the 6% on yours. OR, maybe other drive checks such as provided by the maker of the drive will show something else which then will indicate a major problem looming.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, I've tried Analyze disk too and that doesn't do anything, it remains at 6%. I guess I'll just have to accept that it's going to be that way. It's not affecting anything that I can detect so I'll just leave it be and hope it doesn't get much more fragmented.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Good plan.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    . . .hope it doesn't get much more fragmented
    It will make no perceptible difference to anything even if it is far more fragmented than at present.

Some things are best left completely alone, and this is one of them. Don't even worry about it, never look at it again !

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I certainly don't want to mess anything up. Thanks again for the advice.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK this is kind of puzzling.
    Once the master boot record is written to this partition, that's it. Nothing more is written or changed.
    So how does it get 6% defragmented?
    Rstew

Thanks
    Windows probably can no more accurately "defrag-read" Boot Sector than it can "defrag-read" System Reserved partition -- that's my wild guess.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Any changes are likely to be from changes made via Disk Management, System Restore, Rollbacks from later versions or Windows Updates.

Whatever the reason, any minor fragmentation levels on a partition with >30% free are going to be of microscopic concern when it comes to performance issues, if it worries you, do as I've always done - install W7 to a drive that's already partitioned, then that hidden partition isn't/can't be created and those files end up in a folder called Boot. Here it's 15.1MB total, where the OS will defrag it as it does any other folder.