Lounger
    Thanks

Re-installing Windows 10

Originally I updated Win 7 to Win 10. I've run across a few niggling problems, including the 'frozen'' start button, and am seriously considering a Reset - the option keeping your user files, settings, etc. One thing I have read about this, fails to mention is whether or not this process requires a fresh download of Win 10 for re-installation. Is this not needed (not a true 'from scratch' re-installation versus sort of a repair used - sorta of like repairs made when boot fails). I don't want to charge into this operation only to find out that I need to have a ready install CD/Flash drive. Because I upgraded from Win 7, the recovery partition installed by the PC maker is not Win 10.

BigDon

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by don332 View Post
    Originally I updated Win 7 to Win 10. I've run across a few niggling problems, including the 'frozen'' start button, and am seriously considering a Reset - the option keeping your user files, settings, etc. One thing I have read about this, fails to mention is whether or not this process requires a fresh download of Win 10 for re-installation. Is this not needed (not a true 'from scratch' re-installation versus sort of a repair used - sorta of like repairs made when boot fails). I don't want to charge into this operation only to find out that I need to have a ready install CD/Flash drive. Because I upgraded from Win 7, the recovery partition installed by the PC maker is not Win 10.

BigDon
    I just finished such a Reset and did not have to re-download. Also, I did get a warning that the capability to return to Win8.1 would be lost. It did not touch the original 8GB recovery partition. The Reset did wipe out all the programs that did not come with the computer so they would need reinstalling. It also got rid of all the bloatware that the client didn't need anyway.