Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Intel Agent & BIOS.

Hello. In my attempt at fixing a problem on my Lenovo, one of my last resort was to re-flash the BIOS . . . big mistake ! I am now stuck on a "stupid user" profile, might fit the case. No access to BIOS, I hit F1, F2, F8 or F12 and Delete, no go. This was designed to not be changed by a run-of-the-mill user. But I need access to my BIOS.

Also, this new BIOS keeps trying to connect to the router on booting, Intel Agent is at work. Can anybody here let me know how to get rid of it ? I have read quite a bit on the Intel and Lenovo sites and the only pointer that I found was to use Ctrl-S to get access, it does not.

Any help tremendously appreciated

Thanks
    Did you try calling Lenovo support?

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by handcuff36 View Post
    Hello. In my attempt at fixing a problem on my Lenovo, one of my last resort was to re-flash the BIOS . . . big mistake ! I am now stuck on a "stupid user" profile, might fit the case. No access to BIOS, I hit F1, F2, F8 or F12 and Delete, no go. This was designed to not be changed by a run-of-the-mill user. But I need access to my BIOS.

Also, this new BIOS keeps trying to connect to the router on booting, Intel Agent is at work. Can anybody here let me know how to get rid of it ? I have read quite a bit on the Intel and Lenovo sites and the only pointer that I found was to use Ctrl-S to get access, it does not.

Any help tremendously appreciated
    Jean:

What you did was not stupid. You said that it was "last resort". That is always a good plan when doing a BIOS update in order to solve a problem.

It occurs to me that Lenovo computers used to be IBM computers. How old is your laptop? If it's pretty old, you might possibly find some help at the IBM website. This is just a stab in the dark, but you might get lucky by trying it.

Have you tried to install an older version of the BIOS? That might get you back in business, because there could be a bug in the current version.

Bonne chance.

Jim

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You'll need to Google for how to reset the CMOS for your make & model but it could be a Catch 22 situation as on some computers, the reset option is in the BIOS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like you installed the wrong BIOS update for your laptop and bricked it.

I agree with jwitalka, your next stop is Lenovo if you can't access the BIOS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Jim, Sudo and FN, good morning.

Thanks for your comebacks. This machine was fine until I installed W-10 14251, it then developed some quirks that made me attempt to cure them. I found out that when booting, no
    Windows yet, still in BIOS, it needs to have an OS\2 keyboard connected, there are some KB commands that I found through experimentation. But I am still stuck with the Intel Agent mode. These like machines now called Lenovo, M 58 model, were obviously designed to be used as an office machine and connected on booting to a server, not the case here.

To access the BIOS, I have to connect this OS\2 KB and voilà, I can see the BIOS, I did not find yet the line to edit to cut off this Ethernet booting. I have perused most sites that came to my mind, trying to find the information to cure this. I have not found any reference to this, YET ! Well kept secret, IBM !

FN, this is a desktop, not a laptop.

Sudo, I now have access to the BIOS, still no joy.

Jim, they do not offer any back-tracking BIOS to flash.

Well, this is still an education. If only I could remember how I got rid of it when I first got this machine, two years ago ! I am not about to give up.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When looking up the specs for the M58, it says it came with either Vista or XP - was that true of yours ?

Found this article for resetting the CMOS and clicking on the System Configuration Utility link at the bottom of the article provides some interesting reading, which may be what you are trying to think of....

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/documents/migr-52235

Thanks
    Jean

It may be that you burned the wrong Bios to CMOS. If so the first thing to try is to flash the old BIOS back. Can you do that ? I hope you are not going to say you flashed a new BIOS in Windows, that I would strongly council against, way too many things can go wrong. Most M/B have a way to be booted from a removable device and flashed from there. Some have the ability to go to a special state that will search for external ( or some internal) storage for the a 'bin' file and burn that to BIOS. There will be a special key press or Bios option for that.

BTW how old is this machine?
    BTW2 I believe you mean PS2 keyboard

Intel Agent is likely an implementation of PxE a network boot standard. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboo...on_Environment

Now what I think is most likely is this: You flashed the correct BIOS for whatever reason and it defaulted to PXE boot OR your Windows drive is unbootable and PXE is in the boot order. If the former of those 2 is the case all you should need to do is put the boot order straight. How to do that depends on how the manufacturer implemented things, I have never had a Lenovo and can't help there. You should be able to look around in BIOS and find an option to change boot order, add your boot drive to the top of the list.

Now if it is the second of the two cases a reimage seems the best bet if you have a recent one.

Now just out of perverse curiosity why spurred you to flash a new Bios? Many would recommend only flashing a new Bios as a 'last resort' ( you did say that ). The step before that would to chose 'safe defaults' in Bios settings or 'clear' the CMOS by removing the Cmos battery.

PS there might also be a PXE option elsewhere in BIOS than Boot Order.
    Last edited by wavy; 2016-02-02 at 10:31.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Jean:

If you have a PS/2 keyboard port on your computer, but you don't have a PS/2 keyboard, then something like this might work for you. It converts a USB plug into a PS/2 plug. I have one of these for my USB mouse, allowing me to plug it into the PS/2 mouse port.

The keyboard adapter is typically purple, and the mouse adapter is typically green.

Following up on what David said in post #8, I'm guessing that you need PS/2, not OS/2, for two reasons: (1) I've never heard of an OS/2 keyboard, and (2) You may not have a USB driver loaded, thereby preventing the USB keyboard from functioning.

they do not offer any back-tracking BIOS to flash.
    Yes, but can you download an older version of the BIOS and then install it?

Jim
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-02-02 at 10:57.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo, good morning.

Thanks a mega for this URL, I have not only noted it, I printed it for further reference. I had followed it all before but having it in hand will help my senior moments.

This morning, after playing with the settings last evening, the Lenovo started as was expected, no fooling around, it went straight to W-10. Have I got a winner now ? Time will tell.

It was initially Vista but upped to 7 Pro. I gave it W-10.

All best wishes. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2016-02-03 at 09:28.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That's good news, but which settings were you playing around with ?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello to you too. And to you too, many thanks. I have saved the URL to a .doc to read over and over again, leisurely.

I would fancy that this is a 2006 machine by the BIOS date. If you read my note to Sudo, it runs fine this morning. That did not prevent me from reading all of the text at that URL.

Indeed it is a PS2 KB. Before W-10 loads, it will only respond to command from that KB, it needs the USB driver from Win-10, I presume. When I get to the BIOS setup screen, ( F1 ), there is not option in this BIOS to "order" the boot devices, I need to do an F12 and then I can pick the DVD device ( for Acronis ) but I can not default it to be top on the booting pyramid. More thinking involved but not above the average bear.

I did flash the same version of BIOS as was on from the start, flashing it got me back to day-1 it seems, together with the Intel Agent environment. This was a last resort move and did not affect the outcome as it did not cure the Kernel Security Check Failure, in my mind, it is a 14251 bug in this 1151 version of W-10, since I got the machine back to 10586, there is no repeat of this.

This was a re-learning process for me as I had cured all this when I first got the Lenovo, Jan. 19th 2014, 2nd-hand and at $53.00 was a fine deal and will be for a while yet.

Again, my most heart-felt thanks for your efforts. All is fine now. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Jim, how are you ?

I have one of these adapter but it is green and did not work. But I do have a PS/2, my mistake in OS/2, and that one works. I presume that the BIOS is only catering to the PS/2 port until Windows comes in with USB drivers.

I had a look at the BIOS list on IBM ( Lenovo ) site and there is the only one flash.exe, same as I used. As it is, if your read the previous posts, the machine is fine and I should not have to bother with commands until a new version of 14251/1151 comes out and then only if I again get the kernel dialogue. In the mean time, I am not touching anything anymore.

All fine wishes. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo, I played around with so many changes that I can not pin it down to one setting. The last one, I think, was to again reset the jumper on the BIOS header.

No more EXP action. The only choice left is <Enter> on the first boot screen, to interrupt booting, and that gives me the boot device options. There is another one called : Ctrl-P to got into Intel Agent but it never does.

I find it amazing all the friendly help that springs up here, on demand. Fantastic !

Have a great day. Jean.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    With Win 8.1 it's advocated to boot up into Safe Mode as an initial fix for things - not sure if that works on Win 10, especially when updates can be the cause.

Was the info in that article what you were trying to remember doing before ?

As you have Win 10, could you do me a favour - I've opened a thread on this but as yet not had a reply.

Can you boot up into Safe Mode with Networking and try to open Edge to see if you get an error message.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-02-03 at 10:07.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast