New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't install downloaded progams

I just formatted an older Dell laptop and reinstalled windows XP. I installed Quicken from the install disc with no problems. I have been trying to install antivirus and other downloaded programs. There is no response when I try to open the exe file. I right click and look at properties. It shows that the program is blocked because it came from another computer, even though I did internet downloads. So I click the button to unlock the program.

Now when I attempt to open the file, I get several messages. For the Avira antivirus software, I get the following message: "The procedure entry point GetLogicalProessorInformation could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll." For other software, I get the following: "Application download did not succeed. Check your network connection, or contact your system administrator or network service provider.

I have tried all the workarounds and corrections through internet research to no avail. I'm at the end of my rope. Would REALLY appreciate assistance in resolving this problem. Thanks!!

Thanks
    If you are not already running it, update XP to SP3. If you are not running XP SP3, it may be the cause of your problem.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

gwkinvest (2016-02-01)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gwkinvest View Post
    I right click and look at properties. It shows that the program is blocked because it came from another computer, even though I did internet downloads.
    That is a correct action, the Internet runs on Servers which actually are computers. So in reality the software came from storage drives on Servers connected to the 'net and that is being recognized by your computer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

gwkinvest (2016-02-01)

Thanks
    Was that software originally installed on another computer? If so, and to follow up on what Berton said (post #3), the company which sells the software thinks you are trying to run it on two computers, when your license allows for only one.

Did you enter the license numbers that you have for each program? If so, that is why these companies think that you are running the programs on more than one computers.

You need to unassociate the license numbers with all previous computers, so that you can use them on the current computer. Probably the best way to do that is to call tech support for each of these programs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

gwkinvest (2016-02-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    If you are not already running it, update XP to SP3. If you are not running XP SP3, it may be the cause of your problem.
    Thanks so much for your response! The SP3 update did the trick! So far everything is working fine. Finally able to get an antivirus program loaded on the machine!