Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

backing up C Drive to OneDrive?

Is it possible, using a tool like Acronis or Macrium Reflect, to back up to OneDrive? Since my OneDrive space is now over 1TB, it would seem a logical (and safe) choice.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might be able to, but the way OneDrive works by default, you will have a copy stored both in the cloud and on your computer.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    You should be able to image to the One Drive folder directly or move it there afterword.
    Just don't rely entirely on One Drive for the restoration process.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    So then, Graham, if I set up a backup to go to my OneDrive folder locally, would it then by default copy the backup to the cloud? 'Cause if so, that would be fine, since I then would have local access as needed with cloud security simultaneously.

Would I "just" set my backup to go to the OneDrive folder?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    Clint, that's what I was just asking Graham: If I direct my backup to my local OneDrive folder, would it then be automatically in both places -- locally for access/restoration if need be, and cloud-0based for insurance?

Chuck

Thanks
    One thing that you will need to consider is maximum file size which appears to be only 2GB for Onedrive for Business.

Thanks
    Browni, in September 2014, MS increased 1D file size to 10 gigs. I'll keep looking -- and, in fact, keep trying because I'm running a test backup as we "speak", and they are, for me, generally often in excess of 100 gigs...so, we'll soon see!

Chuck

http://www.windowscentral.com/micros...-more-features

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    So then, Graham, if I set up a backup to go to my OneDrive folder locally, would it then by default copy the backup to the cloud?
    Yes. I don't know how large your HDD is or how much you plan on backing up, but it's not hard to surpass the 10GB per file limit with backups.

And one of the real limitations with OneDrive is the fact that it DOES store a copy both locally and in the cloud. You have 1TB of space on OneDrive, how much spare room do you have on your HDD? If you have 500GB of stuff on OneDrive, you also have 500GB on your HDD.

There are some tricks that will let you put stuff up on OneDrive that is not replicated down to your computer, but that's a different topic.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Chuck,

You don't say which version you have, the 2GB limit is for Onedrive for Business.

Thanks
    Browni, no, I'm not using OneDrive for Business. Strange MS would put that limit on a product aimed at business...ah well.

Chuck

Thanks
    I have a 1TB external drive and a 750 gig external. I would have more than enough space to store 3 backups locally, and that would leave me with 250 G on my OneDrive which also would be more than enough for my purposes.

As for the 10GB file size limit, I'm going to take a look at Macrium, because, although I haven't needed it as yet and so therefore never checked into it, there most certainly will be a way to dictate file size limits for backups in case one would want to transfer same to DVD.

Chuck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Chuck, OneDrive cannot span multiple devices and is (normally) located on an internal HDD. I'm not certain how much luck you would have trying to put it on an external drive unless it were connected and on all the time.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Gordon, I did a backup using "default" backup settings (single file) and that worked fine. I am now in the process of trying it using 4 gig "chunks" that would then circumvent the file size limitation while still completing the backup --

Note: The backup itself is created in the local OneDrive folder, and then the various 4 gig files "should be" transferred up.

Chuck

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect you might have some difficulty restoring a disk image from OneDrive - at least directly.

Think this through, and try it, before relying on this way of using a backup.

The time when you need it is the wrong time to find that recovery is problematic.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    Clint, that's what I was just asking Graham: If I direct my backup to my local OneDrive folder, would it then be automatically in both places -- locally for access/restoration if need be, and cloud-0based for insurance?

Chuck
    Yeah, that's right, One Drive free WILL definitely have a file size limit,
    You're looking at least 15-30 GB with W7, 8.1, and 10.
    And I imagine there's no way they are going to give you 15-30GB free.

A lean XP system, maybe.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast