New Lounger
    Thanks

Trying to install SP1 with no success

Are there still any Vista wizards out there? I am at wits end, and I hope someone can offer some help.

I am running an Intel x64 i7 at 3.5 GHz. 4 GB system memory. ASUS P8 board with latest BIOS. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics.

After many years of Windows XP, carefully maintained, and kept up to date, it was finally time to upgrade. Since I have so many older programs that were either freebies or long since retired, I wanted to preserve my system.

I cloned my hard drive, then installed the clone as my C: drive, reserving the old one as a backup.

I successfully installed Windows Vista Ultimate, and installed the multitude of updates. I get the “The updates were successfully installed” message, the computer reboots with the “installing updates” message and percentage, then fails with error code 800F0826.

My problem: SP1 will not install. I have tried auto update, manual update, download to PC and update, update from DVD. I’ve scoured the Microsoft support site, trying every suggestion I can find, but to no avail. After every attempt, I look at the windowsupdate.log file, but there is no consistency in the error messages. I’ve run Malwarebytes, Comodo, root checkers, etc. I’ve run a repair install of Vista. I’ve run sfc /scannow. Successfully ran the Windows update readiness too. Tried the clean boot option, and installing in Safe mode.

I’ve run out of ideas. Can anyone please help?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As Extended Support for Vista ends in April 2017, perhaps it would have been better to go for Win 7.

Do you have any updates prior to the SP1 fail that have also failed - update history will display that.

Apparently your error code is generated for SP1 when previous updates have failed with a different error code, so you would need to sort those first and then SP1 should successfully install.

If you are unable to resolve previously failed updates, then you can hide the failed ones when they are re-offered and then try SP1.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume this means you have a original Vista license lying around (pre-SP1)? You may have to revert and then install it again unplugged form the Internet and do not do any updates, then install everything using WSUSOffline. Vista pre-SP1 was a bowel movement in a slipcase. Get it on the PC, then do the updates all at once offline. Vista once updated was a pretty decent OS. I assume you are going from 32bit XP to 64bit Vista preserving your installation?

Download all Vista updates/service packs with WSUSOffline (Legacy tab). Then install.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE - how

http://www.wsusoffline.net/docs/ - where
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-02-01 at 18:16.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both for a reply.

Sudo15: History shows all other updates were installed successfully. I ran System Update Readiness tool with no errors reported. I then scheduled automatic update for SP1 at 1:00 AM this morning. For some reason, the updater rescheduled the update for tomorrow. Wonder why?

Fascist Nation: Your suggestion is something I have not tried, so I might as well give it a shot. BTW, I'm going with 32bit Vista.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    NOTE: You can NOT upgrade from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS. That must be a clean install. You can't retain anything. It is start from scratch.

Before you attempt the install again make an image backup of your system. Recovery is generally much easier from an image if the update fails big time.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gemax View Post
    Are there still any Vista wizards out there? I am at wits end, and I hope someone can offer some help.

I am running an Intel x64 i7 at 3.5 GHz. 4 GB system memory. ASUS P8 board with latest BIOS. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti graphics.

After many years of Windows XP, carefully maintained, and kept up to date, it was finally time to upgrade. Since I have so many older programs that were either freebies or long since retired, I wanted to preserve my system.

I cloned my hard drive, then installed the clone as my C: drive, reserving the old one as a backup.

I successfully installed Windows Vista Ultimate, and installed the multitude of updates. I get the “The updates were successfully installed” message, the computer reboots with the “installing updates” message and percentage, then fails with error code 800F0826.

My problem: SP1 will not install. I have tried auto update, manual update, download to PC and update, update from DVD. I’ve scoured the Microsoft support site, trying every suggestion I can find, but to no avail. After every attempt, I look at the windowsupdate.log file, but there is no consistency in the error messages. I’ve run Malwarebytes, Comodo, root checkers, etc. I’ve run a repair install of Vista. I’ve run sfc /scannow. Successfully ran the Windows update readiness too. Tried the clean boot option, and installing in Safe mode.

I’ve run out of ideas. Can anyone please help?
    Did you do a clean install of Vista, or did you try to upgrade from XP to Vista?

There are two ways of thinking of upgrades:
    1) "what it cost you" upgrade -- It didn't cost you anything to do the upgrade, because you had a previous version of Windows on the machine.
    2) "preserve all of your software" upgrade -- When you did the upgrade, as much of your previous XP install as possible was preserved in the Vista install.

You could do both of these, or just one of these, but I wanted to clarify what is meant when you hear the word "upgrade".

I would recommend that you do a clean install of Vista. This means that everything which pertained to XP will be deleted in the process of the install. This means that you will not be doing #2 above. When you first start the install of Vista, it will see that you have XP on the machine, so #1 will be satisfied if you are doing a free upgrade.

Therefore, put your old drive back into the machine, and reclone it onto the new drive. Then remove the old drive and install the new drive. Then proceed with the clean install of Vista onto the new drive.

Early in the install process, it will ask you if you want to format the drive. If you do this, then your install will be completely clean -- everything currently on the drive will be erased. This is the surest way of having success, but nothing will be left from the XP install. This is the option I recommend, to make sure that everything ends up working well.

You could also skip the format and simply install Vista into the same folder that XP is currently installed in. This will wipe out only the XP stuff, but not anything else on the drive. Therefore, all of your data will still be preserved; only XP will be wiped out in the process. Old debris will still be hanging around from the XP install, but it may or may not cause issues.

You had an excellent idea when you decided to clone the old drive onto a new drive, and then use the new drive as your working drive. Not only does this make it extremely easy to get back to where you started should something go wrong, but you end up having a newer, better, faster, bigger drive in the computer.

Jim
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-02-02 at 11:23.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree. Excellent advice mrjimphelps!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    NOTE: You can NOT upgrade from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS. That must be a clean install. You can't retain anything. It is start from scratch....
    You are correct. I could have sworn you could nondestructive update from 32bit xp to 64-bit vista and then use that to upgrade to 64bit Win7. oh well. Man, I could swear that was a cheat.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your suggestions.

I was trying to avoid having to reinstall everything, but instead, just upgrade. Alas, everything I tried failed.

Fascist Nation: Your hint regarding wsusoffline was great... sadly, it failed too. But it was something different from all the "help" from other websites.

The definition of insanity? Doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. I must be insane.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could download this Vista 32 bit ISO which includes SP1 and use Windows USB/DVD Burner Tool to create the bootable disk.

http://getintopc.com/softwares/opera...ista-download/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...-download-tool

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check your system and find out if SP2 got installed somewhere along the way.
    SP1 will not install if Sp2 is installed.