New Lounger
    Thanks

windows 7&10 on separate drives

I recently upgraded my home built desk top with a GIGABYTE GA-Z97P-D3 motherboard Intel core i7-4790@400GHz CCp and Samsung 250gb ssd drive and did a clean instal of win 7 on the SSD which left my old HDD with all my music etc unattainable..My question is, can I instal windows 10 over 7 on the SSD C:/ drive and reinstal win 7 on the HDD which is now E:/ drive.?. I have already transferred my Photos and some programs to the SSD but as it is only 250gb there is not enough room all my music. Regards..

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Legally, I doubt it if you plan on using MS' offer to upgrade Win7. If you plan on buying a Win10 license AND the copy of Win7 you currently have is a Upgrade or Retail license then yes. But you would have to clean install onto the old drive which means getting everything off onto a backup since it will remove anything currently on the drive.

Also you will have to deal with a dual boot situation if the drives are on the same system.
    https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

If Win7 was a OEM license then I am surprised you were able to swap out the MB without failing validation.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Legally, I doubt it if you plan on using MS' offer to upgrade Win7. If you plan on buying a Win10 license AND the copy of Win7 you currently have is a Upgrade or Retail license then yes. But you would have to clean install onto the old drive which means getting everything off onto a backup since it will remove anything currently on the drive.

Also you will have to deal with a dual boot situation if the drives are on the same system.
    https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

If Win7 was a OEM license then I am surprised you were able to swap out the MB without failing validation.
    Hi, Thanks for your speedy reply,The windows 7 is a hard copy which I bought to instal on new built desktop about 2 years ago so its not a OEM copy and is legally registered,could I still upgrade to win10and use it on HDD 3:/??.I will check NEOSMART to see if its suitable for what I'm trying to do .Once again thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know this is not the question that you asked, but why transfer your files to the SSD, why not leave them on the HDD and access them there? You should be able to change the location of your personal folders to the E: drive, see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7. That's what I did, none of my personal files are on the C: drive, only the OS and program files.

I did not understand what you meant by "which left my old HDD with all my music etc unattainable" in light of your later sentence "I have already transferred my Photos and some programs to the SSD but as it is only 250gb there is not enough room all my music." Could you describe what you mean by "unattainable"? Did you just mean that they wont fit into the My Music folder on c:?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roblyn View Post
    I recently upgraded my home built desk top with a GIGABYTE GA-Z97P-D3 motherboard Intel core i7-4790@400GHz CCp and Samsung 250gb ssd drive and did a clean instal of win 7 on the SSD which left my old HDD with all my music etc unattainable..My question is, can I instal windows 10 over 7 on the SSD C:/ drive and reinstal win 7 on the HDD which is now E:/ drive.?. I have already transferred my Photos and some programs to the SSD but as it is only 250gb there is not enough room all my music. Regards..
    Legally, no. When you upgraded to Windows 10, you transferred the Windows 7 license to Windows 10 and it is no longer available for Windows 7 installs. It doesn't matter if its a retail or OEM license.

Jerry

Thanks
    windows 7 is a hard copy which I bought to instal on new built desktop about 2 years ago so its not a OEM copy
    FYI that is a Non sequitur , just because you bought a hard copy does non imply it is Retail, most of the OS disks I see for sale are in fact OEM. Given that you have it on a new MB it would seem to be retail. But what you want to do is 'double dipping' and is frowned upon and maybe disallowed by MS.

When I first read your post I thought you were having problems accessing your old HDD, is this the motivation for your question?

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    FYI that is a Non sequitur , just because you bought a hard copy does non imply it is Retail, most of the OS disks I see for sale are in fact OEM. Given that you have it on a new MB it would seem to be retail. But what you want to do is 'double dipping' and is frowned upon and maybe disallowed by MS.

When I first read your post I thought you were having problems accessing your old HDD, is this the motivation for your question?

Hi Wavy, Thanks for the prompt replay.Yes,you've hit the nail on head that is exactly what i'm wanting to do,but I don't seem able to!.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Legally, no. When you upgraded to Windows 10, you transferred the Windows 7 license to Windows 10 and it is no longer available for Windows 7 installs. It doesn't matter if its a retail or OEM license.

Jerry
    Hi,Thanks for your prompt reply,I'm sorry to hear that..

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

Hi Wavy, Thanks for the prompt replay.Yes,you've hit the nail on head that is exactly what i'm wanting to do,but I don't seem able to!.
    Hi again Wavy can you tell me how I can do this,?.

Thanks
    Is the HDD installed and connected to the motherboard? If so, open Disk Management and see if it is visible to Windows. If you could also use the Snipping Tool to grab and post a screenshot here (of the Disk Management window), that would help to understand what's going on with your system.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Is the HDD installed and connected to the motherboard? If so, open Disk Management and see if it is visible to Windows. If you could also use the Snipping Tool to grab and post a screenshot here (of the Disk Management window), that would help to understand what's going on with your system.
    Hi BB, Yes it is installed and connected to motherboard and shows in disc management as being healthy.I took a snip but for the life of me I couldn't get it in here!!.I apologise if you get this twice I thought I had deleted the first one

Thanks
    In Disk Management, does the HDD have an assigned drive letter?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    In Disk Management, does the HDD have an assigned drive letter?
    Hi BB, Yes. Local disc (E

Thanks
    Hi BB, Yes. Local disc E:
    Then it should be accessible through File Explorer. I'm not quite understanding the "unattainable" part of your OP.

Unleash Windows

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

roblyn (2016-02-15)

Thanks
    roblyn

Sorry I took so long to get back here. What happens if you type :
    e:\
    and then a Carriage Return (enter) into an empty address box in Explorer?

PS to insert an image in a post use the square boxy icon at the top of the text entry box. You must have saved an image (for instance cut and paste into Paint and then save) and browse for it, then click download.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

roblyn (2016-02-15)