Thanks

Stop lone closing quote wrapping

Here's an example:
    ..........................."Is this the way to San Jose?
    "

This is a rare occurrence, I guess the character count and type have to be spot on for it to happen. But it looks pretty bad in print if not caught, whether at the end of a line or paragraph. Not great in reflowable text either, of course.

I suspect it only happens when the closing quote follows a non-alphanumeric character, such as the question mark above. My suspicion is based on not seeing more examples, despite working with a lot of text with closing quotes. Usually the closing word wraps with the quote. I just tried narrowing/widening a document without triggering any more examples I could see.

Anyone know if my hypothesis for the triggering is correct?
    Anyone know an automatic way to prevent this, similar to orphan control for lines?

The non-breaking space kind of solution [applied to specific words/phrases] won't work. It needs a general solution, where the closing quotes take the previous word with them whenever the situation arises.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Unless there's a space between the ? and ", I can't see how you'd be getting that behaviour - it certainly isn't normal for either straight quotes or smart quotes, regardless of whether they follow letters, numbers, punctuation, braces/brackets, etc., indeed, anything that doesn't count as white space.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    Unless there's a space between the ? and ", I can't see how you'd be getting that behaviour
    Of course, now you have me doubting myself

I searched the two documents I was working on for SpaceClosingQuote and didn't find any--but of course I can't find my example again either.

If I find it again, I'll document the example. Meantime, I'll assume you're correct and not bother about it. Thanks.
    Lugh.
    ~

Thanks
    What you are requesting as the general solution is what happens already. What you are describing as happening does not happen on my system. A space between the punctuation and the quote mark will wrap the quote mark, otherwise not.

I first tried this in Word 2010 and then confirmed in Word 2013. I tried with proportionally-spaced and monospaced fonts and with fully justified text. The regular behavior of Word is what you are requesting.

Any chance this is text pasted from the web or from an email?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    Any chance this is text pasted from the web or from an email?
    No Charles, it's from regular source manuscripts created in word processors.

I had another example a week or so ago, but was in too much of a rush to document it. I checked around it, have all format marks showing, and narrowed page width [it wrapped with the word, then unwrapped when I widened the window again], so beats me what it is. Since both you and Paul tell me I'm dreaming, clearly it's some oddity peculiar to me.

I'll post again if I can save an example.
    Lugh.
    ~

Thanks
    Hi Lugh,

Neither I nor Paul are saying you are dreaming. We are telling you that Word, by itself, does not act that way. Obviously, for you, it is acting that way, sometimes. Next time this happens, save a copy of the document without trying any fixes.

Are you in Print View, Draft View, or Web View? Does that matter?
    Do you have curly quotes enabled or are you seeing straight quotation marks like you see on this page?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin