Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Breaking news: Monitor murdered by shortcut

Hey Y'all,

Well it's been a very long evening and next day for the old Retired Geek!

Last evening I got the brain storm that I should setup a keyboard shortcut to access PowerShell vs using my tool bar which was just too many clicks.

So I thought I'll just get into the shortcut and assign a key combo and be done. Well that didn't work! Apparently Windows will only find shortcuts that are is specific places like the desktop and or start menu (I'm using StartIsBack).

Previously I went into my Start Menu and added a shortcut to the Snipping Tool and that works just fine.

Next try, copy the shortcut from the menu system to the desktop and then assign a shortcut key to that shortcut...done and working. As they say on the Infomercials "But wait there's MORE!"

System reboot and all of the sudden no second monitor. Windows just won't see it. Now the last thing I suspected was that this shortcut has caused the problem so I tried a system restore...FAILED. Now I was suspecting WinAnti-Ransom (which by the way had been giving me other problems) so I uninstalled it and tried system restore again...FAILED.

Ok back to old faithful Macrium reflect and restore my last image...SUCCESS...OH YES Image Image Image I can't say it enough!

So now to go through redoing all the software updates I'd done since the last backup, etc. etc. Boom again at next reboot. Wash Rinse Repeat (several times) until I've narrowed it down to this simple shortcut everytime I create it and reboot BOOM no second monitor.

Still haven't figured out WHY but I'm about brain dead now so it is going to have to wait for a rainy day when I have nothing else to do.

FYI: The Shortcut's settings:

Target: C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /TN "PowerShell ISE 64Bit as Admin"
    Start in: C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0
    Shortcut key: Ctrl + Shift + \ {actually I guess that would come out to Ctrl + |}

FYI: The Scheduled Task Exported .XML file contents:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
    <Task version="1.4" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
      <RegistrationInfo>
        <Date>2011-07-29T20:13:12.422227</Date>
        <Author>DellXPS8700\Bruce</Author>
      </RegistrationInfo>
      <Triggers />
      <Principals>
        <Principal id="Author">
          <UserId>DellXPS8700\Bruce</UserId>
          <LogonType>InteractiveToken</LogonType>
          <RunLevel>HighestAvailable</RunLevel>
        </Principal>
      </Principals>
      <Settings>
        <MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
        <DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>true</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
        <StopIfGoingOnBatteries>true</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
        <AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>
        <StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable>
        <RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>
        <IdleSettings>
          <StopOnIdleEnd>true</StopOnIdleEnd>
          <RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>
        </IdleSettings>
        <AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>
        <Enabled>true</Enabled>
        <Hidden>false</Hidden>
        <RunOnlyIfIdle>false</RunOnlyIfIdle>
        <DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>false</DisallowStartOnRemoteAppSession>
        <UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>false</UseUnifiedSchedulingEngine>
        <WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>
        <ExecutionTimeLimit>P3D</ExecutionTimeLimit>
        <Priority>7</Priority>
      </Settings>
      <Actions Context="Author">
        <Exec>
          <Command>%windir%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell_ISE.exe</Command>
        </Exec>
      </Actions>
    </Task>
    BTW: In my testing I found out that this happens with and without the Shortcut key:.

What I haven't tried was deleting the other shortcut but it is elsewhere and has a different name!

Anyone have any Ideas?

May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I guess this is on your Dell XPS 8700 desktop running W8.1 (going by your 'My Systems' specs)?

Just a thought but could it be the hotkey combo you've used for the shortcut is clashing with a hardwired hotkey combo for your Radeon HD 7500 graphics card? (Your graphics card looks like it has "AMD Dynamic Switchable Graphics technology" which "Seamlessly powers down GPU when not required, and powers up GPU when you need it".)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2016-02-02)

Thanks
    "This is the Shortcut Police! Keep your hands where we can see 'em, slowly get up out of your chair, slowly step away from your computer!" Naaawwwww!
    Keep on pressin' on, many great ideas came from and will continue to come from those brave and persistent souls like you who did not and will not give up!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @RolandJS
    People who have been startled by Federal Marshalls tell me that your use of "slowly" should be left out, and the reference to 'naaawwwww' should be NOW!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Rick,

It was Col. Mustard in the Study (where I have my computer) with a wrench (in this case Shortcut key).

You hit it right on the nose AFAICT, since I can't find a list of the shortcut keys used by the AMD Gaming Evolved software. I cleared out the AMD drivers, used their AutoDetect software to download the correct drivers for my card, selected Custom Install, UNCHECKED the Gaming Evolved software, SUCCESS.

The system has now lived through multiple reboots and a complete shutdown with the PowerShell shortcut key in place.

Thanks for the CLUE I needed.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    One of the Ati*****.exe drivers that loads at boot adds keyboard shortcuts to switching resolutions, etc...

Thanks
    ...and how's the Merrimack doin'?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/