Lurker
    Thanks

Thunderbird and OneDrive

Hello Everyone, (I'm new to this forum and a non-geek) I recently purchased a Surface Pro 3 / Onedrive / Windows 10 and I'm using Thunderbird for email. I was just about to copy my TB files over to my Onedrive and after much research, I found a thread on this forum. (see link below) So as a non technical person, what I am taking away from this is: I should stop using TB and go back to using MSOutlook, because TB is not going to sync properly to my Onedrive and Outlook most likely syncs better with Onedrive. ehhhh.... did I get that right? Thanks for any comments to this question.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...Using-OneDrive

Thanks
    Users [your acct] AppData Local Thunderbird
    Users [your acct] AppData Roaming Thunderbird
    -- when T-bird is not active, not running, copy the above two folders en toto, en mass, onto your TB backup drive. Not the full folder paths, just the two Thunderbird "end" folders.
    I have my backup drive with two target folders:
    Local Tbird
    Roaming Tbird
    -- that way, you won't accidentally criss-cross the two Thunderbird folders during any save or during any restore. And, if you ever have to restore, it's cleaner to delete the Target directories just before copying the Source folders.

** Note: if you're using anything similar to Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image -- disregard completely the above. **
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-02-02 at 06:47.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Peggy, I started that thread so let me tell you where I got with it. My primary problem was that my Thunderbird setup was huge. I started it by migrating from Eudora which I had migrated from something else. Basically I had several GB of messages archived. All that bulk was creating issues. So, I made a copy of my entire profile to my NAS and setup a separate link to it, then started a new profile on OneDrive and imported the past years worth of email.

It's working for me quite well for sharing the email between my Surface Pro 3 and my desktop computer. One caveat... For some reason that I can't quite sort out, when I switch between machines, it's prone to asking me to verify the security certificate (which doesn't exist) for my postoffice. It seems to lose track of that.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you are only using one PC there is no need to put your email on OneDrive. Leave it on your PC and back it up with all your other data.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you use Office 365 or IMAP connected email with Outlook you'll should be using OST files. I have my email automatically synched between a desktop PC, a Surface Pro 3, & my phone. My wife synchs between her notebook and phone. All without any effort. The local PC files will be backed up with your other data and can easily be recreated from the server.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's an update... At this point I would have to recommend against putting Thunderbird on OneDrive. Twice, in the past month, I have had a problem with OneDrive glitching if I closed TB and then opened it again before OD was finished syncing (this is an assumption on my part but the alternative is uglier). The first glitch resulted in a duplicate email box, yesterday it appears to have happened again and I now have 4 duplicate email boxes, including the Inbox and Sent which cannot be removed in the same way a non-system box can be.

It's a pity that this doesn't work because it's a good solution when you work from two different computers.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)