Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 disconnecting from wifi after an hour or so

Although the WIFI signal stays strong, after a while my computer disconnects, and I have to click manually to reconnect.

There must be a setting somewhere to change this behaviour?

Any help would be very welcome.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If this is just at home check your router settings.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    My iPhone stays connected and never looses the connection on its own, so the router is OK

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try a new driver for the wifi card. Go to the card manufacturer's site, don't use the Windows search for update option.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    @ errolgreer

In 'Device Manager' right-click on the wireless connection device then left-click on 'Properties'. Under the 'Power Management" tab un-tick the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" then click 'OK'.

Restart Windows and see how it goes...
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

AdamKertesz (2016-02-05)

Thanks
    I've read that Win 8 and Win 10 can have a problem with older routers. Windows wants to go into a mode that maintains the connections but is designed to use lower power, and the older routers cannot handle it. The fix supposedly is to go into your Power Options in Control Panel and select the High Performance profile. I can't confirm or deny that this works, but I've read that it has helped with some older routers.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I've read that Win 8 and Win 10 can have a problem with older routers. Windows wants to go into a mode that maintains the connections but is designed to use lower power, and the older routers cannot handle it. The fix supposedly is to go into your Power Options in Control Panel and select the High Performance profile. I can't confirm or deny that this works, but I've read that it has helped with some older routers.
    I'll give it a try but I've found a lot of additional problems since. It seems that a number of services that are set to automatic are not starting and some of my programs now require me to run them as an administrator. I'm going to try a complete reinstall on a new hard drive and see what happens.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could also run the Windows Repair program from www.tweaking.com which among other things, will reset the Permissions.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    @ errolgreer

In 'Device Manager' right-click on the wireless connection device then left-click on 'Properties'. Under the 'Power Management" tab un-tick the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" then click 'OK'.

Restart Windows and see how it goes...
    Didn't work for me. Nor did changing the power settings to High Performance. I've also noticed that several services that should load automatically aren't starting and the Windows Security service won't start. Also, a number of programs, mostly Adobe's, have to be run as administrator. I don't know if these are related but there may be a clue in there somewhere.