Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Question What kind of security software can or can't run together?

My ISP gives me free use of Norton Internet Security. Nevertheless I have had to make use of Malwarebytes a few times to get rid of something evil that has sneaked upon me, and that NIS could not defend against. I have also had to download specific programs to remove specific threats. Since I have read in the past that some of those security programs will not run well together, I'd appreciate if somebody could tell me what works with what and what does NOT work together?
    Regards
    Jan Erik

Thanks
    Typically you should have only one antivirus program as your active program (that is, that continually monitors what is going on with your computer). However, you can have as many manual-scan programs as you want on your computer. They aren't going to conflict unless they are running at the same time.

Therefore, if Norton is the active program, and Malwarebytes is simply a manual scan program, you could temporarily turn off Norton when you want to do a Malwarebytes manual scan.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

xangler (2016-02-02)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok! But Malwarebytes also offers "real time protection" against malware, hacking, phishing etc. Do you think this would cause conflicts with NIS running constantly?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Jan,

I can't speak for NIS but I run Malwarebytes Premium w/Microsoft Defender on all my systems Win 8.1 & 10. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

xangler (2016-02-02)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Jan,

I can't speak for NIS but I run Malwarebytes Premium w/Microsoft Defender on all my systems Win 8.1 & 10. HTH

How do you think Microsoft Defender rates when compared to AVG Free?

Thanks
    Steven,

I really am not in a position to rate the relative merits as I haven't used AVG for years. All I can say is that using a layered security plan including MS Defender, Malwarebytes Premium, EMET, Windows Firewall, Hardware firewall, WinPatrol, and RoboForm I haven't ever seen a Virus or other malware on any one of my 4 machines. I've recently been using WinAnti-Ransom but uninstalled it as it was giving me some problems (I'll probably give it another try as I have paid for it.). Also in my browsers I use NoScript, uBlock Origin, Disconnect, Flashblock and Privacy Badger. As I said multi-layered.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenXXXX View Post
    How do you think Microsoft Defender rates when compared to AVG Free?
    Test your AV app and PC on how well it protects here.

Antivirus app testing labs (see which one is best for you):
    https://www.icsalabs.com/
    http://www.virusbtn.com/index
    http://www.westcoastlabs.com/checkma...techGroupID=27
    http://www.av-test.org/
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Steven,

I really am not in a position to rate the relative merits as I haven't used AVG for years. All I can say is that using a layered security plan including MS Defender, Malwarebytes Premium, EMET, Windows Firewall, Hardware firewall, WinPatrol, and RoboForm I haven't ever seen a Virus or other malware on any one of my 4 machines. I've recently been using WinAnti-Ransom but uninstalled it as it was giving me some problems (I'll probably give it another try as I have paid for it.). Also in my browsers I use NoScript, uBlock Origin, Disconnect, Flashblock and Privacy Badger. As I said multi-layered.

HTH
    RG, I think you've left out the most important one of all - the user! Care in where you go and what you click on in emails is very important as well.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    RG, I think you've left out the most important one of all - the user! Care in where you go and what you click on in emails is very important as well.
    Hear, hear - I second that.

If you don't watch what you're clicking on, and/or don't look closely at those all-too-often-preselected checkboxes in download dialogs then "more fool you".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To answer the OP's question, while no AV program is 100% effective, it is best to run just one active AV program, but where an AV program doesn't have it's own firewall - which is the main active bit, you could run another AV program alongside whether it has its own firewall or not.

I've seen where a number of people have run Avast Free alongside other active AV programs although never understood why.

I have used Norton 360 since 2010 and then Norton Security when I last renewed and have never had an infection, but as it has been mentioned, safe browsing and watching what you click on also plays a big part in that.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-02-03 at 05:05.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    +1

Or as I like to say "Make sure the nut behind the keyboard isn't loose!"

ScrewLoose.PNG

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    While I've not personally run MalwareBytes AntiMalware Premium alongside Norton, I know two people who kept getting malware (PUPs) and wanted it installed with NIS, so I set it up for them and there was no conflict. (Turns out they only ran it for a short time, they later removed it for other reasons). From what I've read many people run it along side other security software. It does have a 30 day free trial.

Thanks
    I just took a look at the MBAM website to see if they had info on this, and found something.

Go here https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/premium/ and scroll down to "How It Works For You". Click the link called Antivirus Compatibility. It claims to be compatible with all the major AV's.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    AV programs don't normally see PuPs/adware as threats which is why they don't snag them, but I believe Definitions are being modified to look out for some.

While they can still be downloaded regardless of unchecking boxes, I've found AdwCleaner which is specifically designed to deal with adware, usually cleans them out.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    To answer the OP's question, while no AV program is 100% effective, it is best to run just one active AV program, but where an AV program doesn't have it's own firewall - which is the main active bit, you could run another AV program alongside whether it has its own firewall or not.
    AV and firewall are different things.

Windows Action Center (Security and Maintenance in Windows 10) monitors both, separately.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

phansknecht (2016-02-12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast