Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to Save Windows Secrets articles or other webpages the easy way

Open a wanted article or page. Right-click somewhere on the page and a context menu should appear. Select "Print" and a Print Dialog box should open. Near the top of the box on the left-hand menu there should be "Destination" and a "Change" button. Click on Change and select "Save as PDF". Now the blue button at the top of the left-hand menu should say "Save" (instead of Print). Click on Save and choose where you want to save the document. It will save with all the text and graphics. Then you can open it with any PDF reader app.

This works in Windows 7 for sure. It probably works in Win 8/8.1 as well but i haven't tried it yet.

I also posted this in the thread about coming changes to Windows Secrets Newsletter. Many of us are considering whether or not to pay up at a higher price when our subscription to the newsletter runs out. If we don't pay then we may lose access to literally hundreds of useful how-to's, best software lists and more. So, skim through current newsletters or archives (unless you've already saved everything you want) and open all articles/web pages you want to keep now and use the procedure above to save them in your documents folder on your computer.

Probably i'll go ahead and renew my subscription next summer, but saving many good articles now will remove loss of access from my decision making. How about you?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to starvinmarvin For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-02-02),Kathleen Atkins (2016-02-02),PointFive (2016-04-21)

Thanks
    This certainly does not work for me! I also am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

I tried this in Thunderbird for the actual email and after selecting "Print" I see no Destination or Change option.

I opened the full newsletter in Firefox and there is no "Print" option in the context menu.

I opened the full newsletter in Internet Explorer and the "Print" option just displayed my normal menu of printers, no Destination or Change.

So I cannot confirm the steps you described, unless you would like to tell us what program you were running and what "article or page" you were referring to when you pressed the Right-Click to display the context menu.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JC Zorkoff For This Useful Post:

steve55 (2016-02-04)

Thanks
    Starvinmarvin's method works on my W10 pro system quite nicely, if it doesn't...

Try this old way to save web pages (IE only):
    On the webpage go to File, Save as...
    Select "web archive, single file (*.mht). Then select the destination.
    w2.jpg

To save the OP's way you'll need MS print to pdf in your print box...
    zz.jpg

After it's selected, then it will prompt you for a storage location.
    The webpage in question will be saved cleanly to a PDF file.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Zorkoff View Post
    This certainly does not work for me! I also am using Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

I tried this in Thunderbird for the actual email and after selecting "Print" I see no Destination or Change option.

I opened the full newsletter in Firefox and there is no "Print" option in the context menu.

I opened the full newsletter in Internet Explorer and the "Print" option just displayed my normal menu of printers, no Destination or Change.

So I cannot confirm the steps you described, unless you would like to tell us what program you were running and what "article or page" you were referring to when you pressed the Right-Click to display the context menu.
    Well, heck, thought i covered all the steps but clearly i failed to mention that i was using Chrome browser!!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

doPDF rocks

Read this thread with interest and compassion (lots of the latter).

For years (how many I don't know) I use doPDF. It gives me a "virtual printer" that I can select in any standard Windows print dialogue, I can select location and name of the resulting PDF and it works since XP times, every time and it is free.

Never had to care about what browser could (not) do what in that respect.

Life can be easy.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Re: Saving web site articles

Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    Open a wanted article or page. Right-click somewhere on the page and a context menu should appear. Select "Print" and a Print Dialog box should open. Near the top of the box on the left-hand menu there should be "Destination" and a "Change" button. Click on Change and select "Save as PDF". Now the blue button at the top of the left-hand menu should say "Save" (instead of Print). Click on Save and choose where you want to save the document. It will save with all the text and graphics. Then you can open it with any PDF reader app.

This works in Windows 7 for sure. It probably works in Win 8/8.1 as well but i haven't tried it yet.

I also posted this in the thread about coming changes to Windows Secrets Newsletter. Many of us are considering whether or not to pay up at a higher price when our subscription to the newsletter runs out. If we don't pay then we may lose access to literally hundreds of useful how-to's, best software lists and more. So, skim through current newsletters or archives (unless you've already saved everything you want) and open all articles/web pages you want to keep now and use the procedure above to save them in your documents folder on your computer.

Probably i'll go ahead and renew my subscription next summer, but saving many good articles now will remove loss of access from my decision making. How about you?

My method of saving web site articles for years has been to highlight the article, copy it, and then paste it into a new document in MS Word or Open Office. This also gives me the ability to add notes, or edit. Add an appropriate name to the file and then file!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Copy & Paste to a word processor is usually what I do, but has given me mixed results: Sometimes I get a link to pictures which quits working with no inet connection or when pic is taken down on the net. Sometimes formatting imported with text makes editing difficult. I copy & paste the pics and/or do Paste/Special as a workaround.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by git1n0n View Post
    My method of saving web site articles for years has been to highlight the article, copy it, and then paste it into a new document in MS Word or Open Office. This also gives me the ability to add notes, or edit. Add an appropriate name to the file and then file!
    Yes, my impulse is always to simply click & drag the mouse pointer down (or up) the page to highlight the wanted information, then right-click and select Copy, then open Wordpad or Word and right-click again and select Paste. This works fine for text but sometimes images/graphics are left out. That means i have to Copy & Paste each image in separately, and THAT is the reason i suggested using the Print/ Save as PDF option.

As "eikelein" pointed out you can use a free app that creates a Save to "virtual printer" and choose the Save location you want. I used one for years on XP. Can't remember now what it was called.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I routinely use Cute PDF Writer which has run on XP and now is running on Win 7 Professional 64bit.
    Here is link for download: http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Copying to a word processor program preserves embedded links. I use the free, non-commercial PDF-XChange Lite from http://www.tracker-software.com/char...emic-discounts, which installs a virtual printer to print any web page to PDF. The resulting PDF cannot see the embedded links but the included PDF-XChange Viewer can re-embed them (one of many features of PDF-XChange).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have a pdf printer installed (I use Acrobat X), just press Ctrl P and choose pdf. However for many web pages this gives you a lot of rubbish and a very long file. This page for example out of Firefox was 26 pages long, with very narrow main content. Much better IMO is to copy and paste the parts of the page you want into Word (as other commenters suggest). A negative of this system is that pictures are often rather large and may need to be reduced in size and wrapped to reduce the length of the article.

An alternative for a page that fits on one screen, is to use Snipping Tool and save the snip as a jpg.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Evernote for this - select what to save, click the elephant, click Save, tag the resultant EN Note as 'Windows Secrets', copy & paste Newsletter number and date into Note Title. Done.

If I wanted an EN Note as a PDF I would print the EN Note to a PDF printer - not that I ever have.

For some inexplicable reason, in Firefox, I cannot avoid selecting the line before Newsletter number and date (it's the title of the first item) hence the cut and paste step. Maybe in Chrome I could, but for various reasons I keep Chrome free of extensions. Firefox is my goto browser.

Would it not be more logical if WS made the 'title' of the newsletter page the newsletter number and date, rather than the title of the first item. Probably, but...

NW

New Lounger
    Thanks
    An even better way (in my modest opinion) for Firefox users is to install the 'Print Edit' extension - it allows you to edit the web page content before printing or saving as either an HTML or a PDF document.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gemini06720 For This Useful Post:

JC Zorkoff (2016-02-05),Michael37713 (2016-02-11),Rick Corbett (2016-02-05)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by northwood2222 View Post
    For some inexplicable reason, in Firefox, I cannot avoid selecting the line before Newsletter number and date (it's the title of the first item) hence the cut and paste step.

NW
    Well the auto save function must have timed out so i am retyping this...

For that kind of problem I use /The-Printliminator/

https://css-tricks.github.io/The-Printliminator/
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

Michael37713 (2016-02-11)

Thanks
    If you have Microsoft One Note; simply "send to One Note" Quick, easy and no fuss!!
    Last edited by petesmst; 2016-02-07 at 10:25. Reason: Corrected a typo
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

ibe98765 (2016-03-09)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast