Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems with OneDrive

I've screwed up something with the copy of OneDrive on my new Windows 10 PC, and I would appreciate any advice on undoing the damage.

I purchased a new Dell XPS 8900 a few weeks ago. While setting up the PC, I logged into my on-line Microsoft account. After Windows was up and running, the OneDrive icon was in the Notification Tray and the PC was listed when I used the "View on-line" option in the app. The synced files from my PC were listed on-line, and I was able to sync files between my laptop and my new PC. So far, so good.

It was only later that I decided I really didn't like the Computer Name that Dell had given the PC. I changed the name to something I preferred.

The next time I visited my on-line OneDrive account, the PC was still listed under the old name, the one Dell had assigned it.

That just wouldn't do. I read somewhere that the only way to change the Computer Name as listed on-line in OneDrive was to unlink the PC and relink it. Going back to the OneDrive app settings, in the Account tab, I clicked the "Unlink OneDrive" button. When I returned to the on-line account, the new PC was gone, as expected.

I went back to the OneDrive app and went through the OneDrive setup procedure. In the Settings tab, I made sure all three boxes were checked. In the Account tab, I made sure the boxes for all the folders were checked in the "Choose folders" window. In the Auto save tab, I set both Documents and Pictures to be stored on OneDrive.

It's now been several hours since I made all those changes, and I still don't see the new PC in the PCs list. Any idea what I did wrong, and what I need to do to fix it?

--Larry

P.S. The "View sync problems" entry in the OneDrive app's context menu is grayed out, so the app doesn't think there's any problem. And when I just hover over the icon, I see "OneDrive Up to date". Neither of which is very helpful.

P.P.S. I have more than a terabyte of free space on OneDrive, courtesy of my Office 365 subscription, so the problem isn't related to running out of space.
    Last edited by larryc43230; 2016-02-02 at 19:20.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried rebooting?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Have you tried rebooting?

Joe
    Oh, about a dozen times. :-)

--Larry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you checking online from the desktop or notebook? I'd reboot both and try clearing your browser cache. In your IE browser history settings how often do you have IE checking for page updates?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I shut down both the PC and the laptop every night, and since the issue with OneDrive began, I've rebooted both a good number of times.

I don't use IE for anything (at least not if I can help it). I use Firefox. I've tried both refreshes and forced refreshes on the OneDrive page, from both the new PC and my laptop; I've also checked my OneDrive page from another PC that isn't involved in any of this. The new PC is not listed in my OneDrive on-line account.

--Larry

P.S. To summarize the issue: The new PC was listed on-line before I changed the Computer Name. I "removed" that Computer Name and the PC was removed from the list. Now that I've changed the Computer Name, I can't get the PC to show up again in my on-line OneDrive account.
    Last edited by larryc43230; 2016-02-03 at 12:19.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry but I'm not sure what else to try. According to the directions I saw you should've removed the PC from OneDrive prior to changing the name. Have you checked the OneDrive help or forum?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for trying. Guess I wasn't even thinking about OneDrive when I changed the Computer Name. I'm not used to having to check anywhere else when I change a Computer Name.

I've read the OneDrive help and tried everything that seemed even vaguely relevant, including using a command line command to reset the OneDrive app, then basically redo OneDrive's settings from scratch. Nothing has made any difference.

I also submitted a request for help to Microsoft from the OneDrive Web site. That was several days ago. I never got a response.

--Larry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Maybe someone else will chime in.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I should have mentioned that I can manually add a file to my OneDrive account by copying it to the OneDrive folder on my PC. That still works fine. What's missing is the entry for the new PC in the list of PCs. Here's a screenshot that might help explain things:

Screen Shot 02-03-16 at 04.14 PM.JPG

The "XPS12" entry under PCs is my laptop. What I need is for the new PC, creatively named XPS8900, to appear in that same list. It doesn't show up no matter what I try.

By the way, Microsoft tech support just got back with me, and suggested I try uploading a file to OneDrive, thinking that might somehow refresh the view. Didn't make any difference.

--Larry