Thanks

Setting a Default Program to Open .htm Files

I've downloaded Notepad++, and I want it to be the default program for opening .htm files. That works fine on my Windows 7 machine, but I can't figure out how to do it in Windows 10. When I get to the point of assigning a default program to .htm files, all that shows up is Chrome. No other option is offered.

I can open Notepad++ and use it to open an .htm file, but I can't double click the .htm file and get it to open with Notepad++.

Who can help?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
    I've downloaded Notepad++, and I want it to be the default program for opening .htm files. That works fine on my Windows 7 machine, but I can't figure out how to do it in Windows 10. When I get to the point of assigning a default program to .htm files, all that shows up is Chrome. No other option is offered.

I can open Notepad++ and use it to open an .htm file, but I can't double click the .htm file and get it to open with Notepad++.

Who can help?
    I usually just Save a sample file of whatever type, go to the Downloads Folder, right-click the file and choose Open with... then I scroll or navigate to the program I want to use, usually a line giving that option. There should be a box at the bottom of the list to put a checkmark in to always use that program. Or maybe in Control Panel, Default Programs choose and set the choice.
    One.png
    Last edited by Berton; 2016-02-02 at 22:08.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2016-02-02)

Thanks
    Your first method worked fine. I had to look around a bit for Notepad++, since Windows 10 didn't want to find it, but once I found it, my problems were over.

The Lounge strikes again!
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad it worked for you.