Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Forced upgrade to Windows 10?

Can it possibly be true that all of us who "reserved" Windows 10 last summer to upgrade Windows 7 Home Premium are reportedly in the near future going to have Windows 10 downloaded and installed AS AN AUTO-UPGRADE? If this is true, then is there anything I can do to FORCE Microsoft to let me decide that as they agreed in July of last year? I have just heard this for the second time, and one of them was from a friend who is typically pretty straight with such information, so I tend to take what he says as reliable information.

I now have a 32-bit laptop and a 64-bit desktop on Windows 10 Home, with the laptop going flawlessly and my primary use desktop STILL cleaning up and recovering from the disaster left behind by the upgrade. Now, with my wife seeing the frustration I have been going through for the last 6 months cleaning up the mess left behind, she had made me PROMISE NOT TO UPGRADE her 64-bit Windows 7. Now I am hearing very disturbing and worrisome stories that worry me.

Does anyone know anything about this. Right now, my wife still has Windows 10 "reserved," but how do I KEEP IT THAT WAY? Better yet, how do I remove it from the queue entirely? :-(
    Last edited by decann; 2016-02-03 at 15:27.

David E. Cann

Thanks
    Install GWX Control Panel on your wife's computer. Then make sure it's configured not to allow the upgrade to Windows 10.

If the upgrade manages to install itself despite all you do, it's not your fault. Your wife should direct her frustrations at Microsoft, not you.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What is GWX Control Panel? Thank you also for the editorial opinion below, but that is not really what I was looking for. Hopefully someone else out there can help.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Install GWX Control Panel on your wife's computer. Then make sure it's configured not to allow the upgrade to Windows 10.

If the upgrade manages to install itself despite all you do, it's not your fault. Your wife should direct her frustrations at Microsoft, not you.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think the plan is to re-designate the Win 10 update from Optional to Recommended and if you have the update settings set to auto and the default setting of give me recommended updates the same way as I receive important updates, then it will auto install.

So that you have a choice of which updates to allow, change your update settings to Check for but let me choose... and installing the GWX Control Panel is good advice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

decann (2016-02-03)

Thanks
    Did you click on the link that Jim gave in his post? That's the software you should install and configure it as he suggests. Then you won't get W10 (the GWX = get Windows X or 10). The control panel , um - controls the updates and upgrades.

I don't have GWX Control panel installed but I haven't had any attempt by MS to download or upgrade my 8.1 desktop or my wife's 7 laptop. I wish I knew why as I could point people in that direction.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, Now I am confused. I just read something that said what is coming is some kind of "installer" (that takes up 3 GB of HD space) to facilitate the Win10 upgrade, NOT the Win10 upgrade itself. If so, that is quite a different issue, and one that I can live with. Now though, how do I determine which rumor version is correct before Windows 10 is forced on me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I think the plan is to re-designate the Win 10 update from Optional to Recommended and if you have the update settings set to auto and the default setting of give me recommended updates the same way as I receive important updates, then it will auto install.

So that you have a choice of which updates to allow, change your update settings to Check for but let me choose... and installing the GWX Control Panel is good advice.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I upgraded and reverted to Win 7 but I think the Win 10 was about 3GB.

I suppose it will have to download something before it installs and if you change the update settings to what I have advised, then after you get the updates notification, click on them and then you will see what it is trying to push onto you.

Click on them then on More info in the right pane, but if it's the main Win 10 download then right click on it and select hide as well as any updates relating to ease of upgrade or Windows Update Agent.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

decann (2016-02-03)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I understand correctly what I have read, MS has changed the upload in question to "Recommended," which effectively lists it with everything else coming in as an update, depending on your Windows Update settings. I have just reset my wife's update settings to require approval BEFORE downloading any update listed as "Recommended," with anything above that remaining as an auto-update to be downloaded and installed. Does that sound right? I am not an expert at this by a longshot, so please let me know if I've missed something.

Just as an added 2 cents worth, I really think in the end we will go to Windows 10 like everyone else has. My immediate concern is that I want it to be at OUR OWN time and place without Microsoft force-feeding it to us. I hope that makes some sense to someone other than myself. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I upgraded and reverted to Win 7 but I think the Win 10 was about 3GB.

I suppose it will have to download something before it installs and if you change the update settings to what I have advised, then after you get the updates notification, click on them and then you will see what it is trying to push onto you.

Click on them then on More info in the right pane, but if it's the main Win 10 download then right click on it and select hide as well as any updates relating to ease of upgrade or Windows Update Agent.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Not quite - you can leave the general default settings as they are as long as you use the dropdown to change to Check for but let me choose... otherwise you get the Telemetry ones that can hasten the upgrade.

Download the GWX Control Panel which will stop the auto upgrade and then you can reverse its settings later to allow the upgrade.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

decann (2016-02-03)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. Now the "dropdown" is set to make me download everything. I know I am only delaying the inevitable, and I will likely go to W10 in the end, but at least this gives me SOME small semblance of control over time and day. Thank you for the help.

David E. Cann

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    “customers remain in full control and can easily decline the upgrade if they choose.”
    Microsoft tells me you will be clearly prompted to choose whether or not to continue.
    Windows 10 Becomes a Recommended Update on Windows 7 and 8.1

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This article paints a bleaker picture for those who don't want Win 10 in that it will keep chasing you unless you take preventative steps.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/302...-block-it.html

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Even the one anonymous poster agrees that you can click "Decline". What's "forced" about that?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post

Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    What is GWX Control Panel? Thank you also for the editorial opinion below, but that is not really what I was looking for. Hopefully someone else out there can help.
    GWX Control Panel is a program that someone wrote to assist his own customers, who were getting the Windows 10 upgrade forced on them by Microsoft. It blocks the upgrade to Windows 10, and it can be used to clean out Windows 10 install files that Microsoft has already managed to put on your computer. It's not a completely automatic process; you have to configure it to do the things I have described.

GWX Control Panel is a very good solution to the problem of MS sneaking Windows 10 onto your computer, because the author keeps up with all of the latest tricks being done by MS, whereas you and I don't have the time to do that.

Based on other posts here, it sounds like MS has backed off of forcing Windows 10 onto people's computers. I'm not convinced of that, so I'll stay vigilant.

And sorry about the editorial opinion. I guess my own experience is still painful in my mind. I remember getting chewed out for things that happened which were not my fault, and which I did everything I could to prevent.

My point was, even some very talented and knowledgeable techs have gotten Windows 10 foisted on them, so don't blame yourself if it happens to your wife's computer.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes when I was over there today at my brother's house I checked to make sure his PC was up to date. I noticed three Win10 upgrade traps labeled "recommended" sitting in the optional basket.

Thank you GWX Control Panel for keeping Win10 off the PC! I suppose I do need to ask my brother whether he wants to upgrade the OS while it is free to do so; which will end my support of non-hardware issues if he does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast