5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Improve Internet Explorer 11's security settings

TOP STORY

Improve Internet Explorer 11's security settings

By Fred Langa

If you always use Chrome, Firefox, or some other non-Microsoft browser for surfing the Web, Internet Explorer is on your PC and its vulnerabilities could affect your system's overall security and performance. Never using Internet Explorer won't keep you safe; some deep-seated IE components can be automatically used in routine and critical Windows processes such as Windows Update.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/improve-internet-explorer-11s-security-settings (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kathleen Atkins For This Useful Post:

klourash (2016-02-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, but... Are we going to see an article about Edge security, or do IE's settings also affect Edge?

New Lounger
    Thanks

enable strict p3p validation?

Some of my settings differ from Fred's. I'm using Win7, IE11. How about the "enable strict p3p validation" setting under Advanced Security settings? Should it be checked?
    BTW, love Windows Secrets. Been with Fred since Langalist...

Thanks

Internet Explorer, Windows 10 and Smart Screen Filtering

I do not recommend enabling SmartScreen Filtering in either the Windows 10 OS or the IE 11 and Edge Web Browsers. The reason is simple -- the reputation service aspect (the blacklist/whitelist function) is wrong about several downloads I do frequently.

These include getting Glary Utilities Free from any site where it is available (FilePuma, MajorGeeks, etc.) and Nir Sofer's utilities, especially ProduKey. These and other downloads get the popover and can't be downloaded without fgoing through the Advanced link each time, and even then the downloads often seem to complete, but get removed after downloading.

Until the lists used get more reasonable, I do not recommend any form of SmartScreen Filtering in Windows 10.
    -- Bob Primak --

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-02-06)

Thanks
    Hi,

If you use Outlook, do not tick "Do not save encrypted pages to disk", or you will be infuriated to see red Xs instead of images in all your emails.

http://www.slipstick.com/problems/red-xs-in-email/

JPL

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My version of Internet Explorer 11 is 11.0.9600.18161 and not the .18163 shown in Figure 1.
    My "Update Versions" is the same 11.0.27 shown in Figure 1

But when I try to update Internet Explorer 11, it says I have the latest update.
    What could be the reason why my version shows the last 2 digits as 61 instead of 63?

Could it simply be that I am running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit whereas Figure 1 shows IE 11 on Win 7?
    Last edited by StevenXXXX; 2016-02-04 at 15:36.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, the very 1st change suggested to "Uncheck the "Enable third-party browser extensions" should not be done because that screws up the use of Last Pass Password Manager.

I guess that would be useful if you do not use any extensions at all.

Also, many of the Security Changes suggested could cause many problems as noted in that article.

IMHO, the cure may be worst than the illness.
    For the time being I will leave all of the settings as they are.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    I do not recommend enabling SmartScreen Filtering in either the Windows 10 OS or the IE 11 and Edge Web Browsers. The reason is simple -- the reputation service aspect (the blacklist/whitelist function) is wrong about several downloads I do frequently.

These include getting Glary Utilities Free from any site where it is available (FilePuma, MajorGeeks, etc.) and Nir Sofer's utilities, especially ProduKey. These and other downloads get the popover and can't be downloaded without fgoing through the Advanced link each time, and even then the downloads often seem to complete, but get removed after downloading.
    I can download those programs from those sites with SmartScreen Filter enabled in Edge and IE11 on Windows 10. When did you last try?

Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Until the lists used get more reasonable, I do not recommend any form of SmartScreen Filtering in Windows 10.
    How many forms are there?
    Last edited by BruceR; 2016-02-05 at 07:44.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Strict P3P Validation?

To second Roger Martin: You're missing an option in Security, "Enable Strict P3P Validation." My version is 11.0.9600.18163.

https://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals...edirected=true

IE11_menu.jpg

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I can download those programs from those sites with SmartScreen Filter enabled in Edge and IE11 on Windows 10. When did you last try?

How many forms are there?
    Second question first -- I find two places where Smart Screen Filter is enabled by default in Windows 10. One is in the general settings for the OS. The other is in the browser settings for IE (possibly also for Edge). Maybe these invoke the same setting, but it appears in two very different contexts last I reset it (about a month ago).

As for downloading and installing the programs I named, as of one month ago, I could not do so without a banner warning coming across the screen saying the downloads were blocked by Smart Screen. No option to override. YMMV.

My OSes are kept fully up to date, at least by the end of each month.

I do use AVG security, but this alone should not trigger Smart Screen popover banners.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    I just downloaded Produkey with IE 11. It SmartScreen did pop up a warning about putting your PC at risk but clicking on More Info provides a Run Anyway option.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I just downloaded Produkey with IE 11. It SmartScreen did pop up a warning about putting your PC at risk but clicking on More Info provides a Run Anyway option.

Jerry
    Then in your Windows version (Is it Win 10 you run?), the Smart Screen Filter does pop a warning for some Nir Sofer utilities, but now it does have an override option. Not convenient, but I guess most folks can live with that. (As for Glary Utilities from some sources, maybe someone fixed that at their end. Good.)

I am not most folks. I don't need a Net Nanny, although I do appreciate that some legitimate system tools can do things which are also characteristics of malicious tools. The user has to be able to decide which tools are legitimate, and which ones are genuinely unwanted or PUP malware.

Thanks for helping to clear this up. I'll continue not to use Smart Screen Filters, and I will continue not to use Internet Explorer or Edge in my browsing and downloading activities. That is my choice, and others may make their own choices.

FWIW, Chrome Browser itself is now using Reputation Lists and trying to block access to sites based on mere rumors of malicious advertising on these sites. Wow! Talk about being over-protective!
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Smartscreen has always had an overide although it is not obvious (like needing to click on More Info). I've used it through many iterations of IE. You are certainly welcome to avoid Smartscreen and IE/Edge. I've always been a supporter of personal preferences. Personally, I'm browser agnostic. At different times I use all the major ones - Edge, IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari on my Ipad. They all have their strong and weak points IMO.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

An unexpected problem when checking "Do not save encrypted pages to disk"

Checking "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" caused a program that does not directly use a browser to fail.

Citibank has a standalone program to generate Virtual Account Numbers which you can also do when logging in to their site.

While the browser version continued to work, the standalone program failed with "Card loader error 2032" before getting to the Login screen. This took a while to figure out since I don't use the program every day and never expected a browser setting to affect a standalone program. My first call to Citibank for help was completely wasted. A second call indirectly triggered my memory of changing some IE settings. When unchecked just that option, everything worked again.