Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update problem

I run Windows 10 64bit and Norton Security Premium, which disables Windows Defender. For weeks now Windows Update downloads and 75% installs an update for Windows Defender, for the result, see attachment. I have searched Microsoft for hours but can find no answer to this. I have run the Windows Update Troubleshooter and it displays 'Service registration is missing or corrupt', I have disabled Norton Firewall and Autoprotect before trying the update, nothing works. Anybody else have this problem?

Regards,

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pledden; 2016-02-03 at 18:45.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

sfc /scannow

And see what each reports.

The /restorehealth cmd can hang at 20% but will complete.

Try the updates again, but if you still get the error then work your way through https://www.xtremerain.com/service-r...ng-or-corrupt/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Sudo but didn't work.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have subsequently made an image of my C: drive then deleted Norton Security Premium and rebooted. Windows Defender defaulted to being the security programme for the PC, I did a Windows update and it updated perfectly so I thought I would just install Norton Security Premium and that particular update problem would go away. Not so, when I entered the Norton Security Premium install key it told me no more installs. So I had to restore the image I made with the update problem still nagging me. Is it possible to uninstall Windows Defender or remove it from the update list?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can contact Norton Support to explain the situation and they will reactivate your key.

I recently had to uninstall my Norton Security Deluxe but the only download I could find for it looked like it would charge me again or use up another of the 5 licences.

I contacted Norton and they knew the names of the two computers it is installed on, so I'm not sure why your key was classed as used up.

Anyway, I allowed her to hook up and she reinstalled it for me, so uninstall it again, get the WD update to complete and then contact Norton.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Sudo, that is exactly what I did and all is fine now. I do wonder if it will happen again and will Norton be so obliging the next time?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pledden View Post
    Thank you Sudo, that is exactly what I did and all is fine now. I do wonder if it will happen again and will Norton be so obliging the next time?
    I don't see why not - occasionally it needs to be reinstalled, say after a factory reset or where you need to uninstall it to eliminate it when the operation can only be carried out in normal mode such as Windows Updates - sometimes turning it off isn't sufficient.

When you next have to go for the renewal, go for Norton Security Deluxe without the Cloud as you get 5 licences and it doesn't cost as much as Premium where you only get a single licence - at least it does in the UK.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Norton Security Premium cost me AU$55 from a local store, I just received a card with downloading and installation steps provided. The De Luxe version was not on offer, I don't need more than one licence, my wife's laptop has nothing on it of value so I use Windows Defender for that. Whereabouts in the UK are you? I emigrated from Brighton 34 years ago, love it here.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I got my Deluxe from Argos for 29.99p and it was only a product key, so also had to download.

Given the price, I bought two as they are usable up to three years.

I miss the install disks of Norton 360 which meant reinstalling was so much easier.

I'm from Co Durham.

The brother of one of my brothers in law married a New Zealand girl and they have been living out there now for more years than I care to remember, but they are now living in Tasmania.

A couple of years or so back they came over for a niece's wedding and he said he would never come back to the UK to live.

Thanks
    I don't know about the Premium versions, but when the regular Norton products don't allow me to reinstall, like it did for you, I log into the Norton account, delete the computer name that I am trying to reinstall on, and then I can proceed with the reinstall.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pledden View Post
    Hi Pledden,

You can reinstall Norton Security anytime within your subscription period from your Norton account. If you have to reinstall Norton in the future again, please follow the instructions here https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...rProfile_en_us. Feel free to reach us out if you need any help with Norton.

Thanks
    Charlie
    Norton Support

Thanks
    You can also solve the initial problem reported in this thread (#1 above) by temporarily disabling the Norton "Smart Firewall" and Norton "Auto Protect"; then run Windows Update to download/install the Defender update; then re-enable the Norton features. A hassle, yes; but much easier than un-installing an d-re-installing the entire Norton product.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.