New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot Connect Server to Wireless Network

I'm having trouble getting a wireless dongle working on my spare PC which is running Windows Server 2012 R2. I have also tried to get a different wireless card to work to no avail. So I think that eliminates the wireless dongle/card as the culprit.

I have added the Wireless LAN Service feature. It is functioning.

If I view the Network Adapters, the Wi-Fi adapter shows with all green bars.
    If I click Connect To, there is an Unidentified Network (limited).

If I ping the router on 192.168.1.1 it returns Destination host unreachable.

I have configured the IP 4 seetins, giving it a specific IP address and 2 appropriate DNS addresses (after starting out with just the dynamic settings).

I'm out of ideas.

Any help would be appreciated.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Did it work with dynamic settings? If not there is no point going to static until you work out what is wrong.
    Is the dongle a wireless hub or client? Model?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I assume that since you are trying to use wireless, that there is no practical way to run an Ethernet cable from your spare PC to your router.

Here are two ideas:

1. Make sure that the SSID (wireless network name) does not have a space in it. A space in the name will cause some devices not to be able to attach to the network.

2. Try a powerline adapter. It uses your electrical wiring to make the connection. I've never used one, but if I were in your spot, I probably would try it, since there doesn't seem to be any other solution.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for delay, I'm on other side of the world (probably).

It did not work with the dynamic setting. Tried that first. I've tried 2 wireless devices. 1 is a D-Link Usb device (dongle - probably this one http://support.dlink.com/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DWA-130 ), the other was a wireless card which I had lying around.

Running cable and keeping it connected is not possible. Wife issues there. And it is a pain in the butt running the cable. It's a good 15m and around furniture. Hence, I thought I'd go wireless.

There's no spaces in the SSID and my main PC has no problems connecting wirelessly.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ok. So here's the thing. It just started working.

I cannot think why. I guess I'll take it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by onefootswill View Post
    Running cable and keeping it connected is not possible. Wife issues there. And it is a pain in the butt running the cable. It's a good 15m and around furniture. Hence, I thought I'd go wireless.
    "Powerline" adapters don't require that you run any cable from the router to the computer. The only cable that you run is from your computer to the nearest electrical outlet.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...-fi-fails.html