5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Time for me to start over with Win10?

I'm thinking of starting over with Win10 - wiping out what I have. I can do a reset or reinstall from scratch. I know what the reinstall will do, but I'm less clear about the reset. I'm speaking here of the complete reset - I can copy off my files and reinstall programs. If it really cleans up after itself, the second option would appear to be the simpler solution.

Here is the back story:

In July 2015 I got a Surface Pro 3 with the notion that it could eventually replace my laptop and an iPad. It came with Win8.1 and I immediately upgraded it to Win10. Then I made a mistake. I did the same thing to it I have done with each new version of Windows, I changed it around to be more like what I was used to. Over the past 6 months, I have found several things that have made me rethink this action.

The biggest problem has been that a lot of expert knowledge on the web regarding W10 pertains to one of the tech preview versions. This is slowly being replaced by more current knowledge but I made some decisions based on inaccurate information. Microsoft hasn't helped this out much with some of changes in policies for things like OneDrive and this push toward SaaS - it's become increasingly difficult to know anything for certain. What I know now is that what was true last week may not be true this week.

Here is my real dilemma. In changing some things, I may have ended up trying to push a string up a hill. I'm starting to get used to some things that I didn't like at first. More correctly I didn't understand how some things I didn't like might work for me. And in trying to fix things I made some changes that perhaps didn't need changing.

With the exception of one program, there is nothing to install or setup on this computer that would take me that long, and that one thing is there more for a test than anything else. So any route I take is probably OK.

P.S. I admit to being what I call a "TechnoLuddite". I have lived and worked in a technological world since I got into laboratory medicine in 1970. And I started with computers in 1972. And while I embrace new technologies, I also get tired of the constant change - much of which I perceive as being change for the sake of change. As a result, I resort to the Luddite reaction to change and dig in my heels and resist it - at least long enough for me to absorb it to see what I like. Most of the time, this has worked for me but this time I may have made a mistake.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The second reset option to get rid of all your files and programs is similar to a clean install but without the opportunity to format the drive. You can always run disk cleanup after the reset.

Joe

Thanks
    Resistance to change: It's called old age, basically.
    I recommend that you do everything you can to resist it, old age that is, ...not change.

As far as the Surface goes; don't get carried away trying to remake it, otherwise, what is the point in purchasing something like that in the first place.
    I've been looking at the surface Pros as a laptop replacement for a while now, but I don't think they have all the bugs quite worked out yet.
    Besides, my Windows 7 era Lenovo laptop converted to W8, and finally to W10, is running so smoothly I can't very well justify replacing it right now.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    The biggest problem has been that a lot of expert knowledge on the web regarding W10 pertains to one of the tech preview versions. This is slowly being replaced by more current knowledge but I made some decisions based on inaccurate information. Microsoft hasn't helped this out much with some of changes in policies for things like OneDrive and this push toward SaaS - it's become increasingly difficult to know anything for certain. What I know now is that what was true last week may not be true this week.
    Apparently this is why you want people to put the date at the beginning of their blog posts!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The second reset option to get rid of all your files and programs is similar to a clean install but without the opportunity to format the drive.
    What's the difference between the second and third options?

As to old age... Old age is part of it (I'm 66) because it's the accumulation of roughly 46 years worth of constantly adapting to change - which gets tiresome. But it's also having to deal with the constant changes that often seem to serve little purpose. I've been in the software business long enough to know that new features almost always take precedence over code fixes and performance improvement. Just once, I'd like to see a major software release that was 100% focused on fixes for common problems and complaints. The marketing department would go ape sh*t because they wouldn't have any new features to promote.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    There is no third option. You click on Settings | Update & Security | Recovery | Reset this PC (get started button). You then get a small window with two options "keep files" or "get rid of eveythin".

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I see three options:
    1. Keep my files
    2. Remove everything
    3. Restore factory settings
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...covery-options

The last option would appear to go back OS version on the recovery partition. Like I said, I'm not sure what it is using to reset to.

I should probably also throw in a mea culpa here (and those reading this should heed my warning). I got frustrated with Microsoft and Win10 and let myself get flustered. I started making changes without taking adequate care to keep good notes. Because of this, I'm not entirely certain what I have changed, what I have not, and what I changed back.

This is not a good place to be in at this point. I feel I may be better off biting the bullet and starting over to make sure I know what's what.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2016-02-05 at 17:22.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you see restore "factory settings" that will reset the PC to how it was originally delivered to you.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If you see restore "factory settings" that will reset the PC to how it was originally delivered to you.
    So I'm guessing that's using what's on the recovery partition, which for me would be Win8.1
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Administrator
    Thanks
    yes.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just out of curiosity, is there any way to upgrade the recovery partition to Win10? If not then wouldn't it make sense to just delete it? I've seen pros and cons to this.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Just out of curiosity, is there any way to upgrade the recovery partition to Win10?...
    AFAIK no, and there would be no point in doing so as Win10 has recovery/reset features built-in.

...If not then wouldn't it make sense to just delete it?...
    Yes, but make sure you have a backup image of that partition, and all other partitions on the drive, in case something goes pear-shaped.

Once you have deleted the recovery partition you could create a new partition using the resulting "unallocated space" or resize another partition to use the "unallocated space".

However, if the recovery partition is positioned before the partition you want to resize then you will need to boot from a "partition manager" CD to "slide" the partition you want to resize so the "unallocated space" is positioned after the partition you want to resize. Then you will be able to resize the target partition to include the "unallocated space".
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.