5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using an iPad as a Second Monitor with a Laptop PC

There's a program called iDisplay that lets you use an iPad as a second display for a PC. But there are reports of it being buggy and the only version past Win7 is a Win8 beta.

Has anyone (recently) used any program that will allow an iPad to be used as a second display for Win8 or Win10? I know that there are 2-3 software programs available but don't know much about them.

And, BTW, for anyone who routinely blogs or does articles for the interweb. Put the bloody date as the very first thing in your articles!!! Thank you.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    And, BTW, for anyone who routinely blogs or does articles for the interweb. Put the bloody date as the very first thing in your articles!!! Thank you.
    1. What is the "interweb"?

2. Windows Secrets Forums always puts a date-and-time stamp on all of my postings. Why are you asking that I additionally put it in my posts?

Thanks
    I stumbled upon Duet when I was looking for a way of mirroring my iPad to my PC. It costs slightly more than iDisplay but - from the reviews on the App Store - appears to be a better product.

Hope this helps...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

gsmith-plm (2016-02-05)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What is the "interweb"?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps
    1. What is the "interweb"?
    Internet

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps
    2. Windows Secrets Forums always puts a date-and-time stamp on all of my postings. Why are you asking that I additionally put it in my posts?
    OP is talking about blogs, not forum posts.

Thanks
    The internet is not the same as the world wide web. I guess interweb is trying to combine the two.

See article in Wikipedia

Rick, I agree Graham is taking about blogs, but surely he should ask on those same blogs etc. The forum has no control over those.....

Thanks
    +1

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick - Duet is one that I hadn't yet looked at. Thanks.

---
    Sorry, for the rant I stuck in. I just wasted half a day reading stuff that's 2-4 years out of date. Forums are great because there's always a date. But blogs and reviews and articles frequently have no date at all and you can't tell if what you are reading was done last week or last decade.

And the interweb is a sarcastic slang term:
    interweb (noun) (often lowercase) the Internet: used <snip> when expressing a disdain for certain Internet content.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    What is the "interweb"?
    The term Interweb is a portmanteau of Internet and World Wide Web typically used sarcastically to parody a technically unsavvy user.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm
    Duet is one that I hadn't yet looked at.
    One of the complaints about iDisplay is its 'lagginess' using AirPlay. I've noticed the same 'lagginess' using Reflector. It's just one of those unfortunate things about wireless connectivity between the devices. Duet doesn't sound like it suffers from this 'lagginess' due to it using a USB-to-Lightning connection. (I just wish the same was available for Reflector.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    <snip> due to it using a USB-to-Lightning connection.
    I have a 3rd Gen iPad with the old 30-pin connector and I want to be sure it works with my iPad and Windows 10. Reviews look promising and for only $16 it's worth a try.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rick, I gave Duet Display a try and setup is fast and it seems to work. There are some things I have to figure out because touching the iPad seems to disconnect it - so I've got something to learn.

But beyond it seems a great way to have one app open for reference while working on something else - something I do constantly. This is for my Surface Pro 3 so screen space is at a premium. I could get a monitor for it but this seems to work well for now for the price of a few beers.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware