Lounger
    Thanks

Thunderbird do NOT empty trash on exit

i'm having problems with Thunderbird clearing out my Trash folder every time i exit -- i would like to retain deleted emails similar to the way the windows recycle bin works, and only delete them from the trash folder when i opt to do that.

for each of my account server settings i have "empty trash on exit" NOT checked, and for "properties" of the Trash folder, i have "don't delete any messages" selected. and yet each time i exit Thunderbird and re-start it, the Trash folder is empty.

also note that i have tried setting the Trash folder retention policy "use my account settings" both on and off, and regardless the trash is still emptied.

FYI, i'm using version 38.5.1.

lee

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you sure that the setting for When I delete a message, Move to _folder is set to Trash? Deleted messages could be going somewhere other than the Trash folder.

Lounger
    Thanks
    figured it out! under "account settings" there's an entry for "local folders", and for that there's yet another "empty trash on exit" checkbox. that's the one i missed -- clear that and voila, trash is not automatically emptied!