Star Lounger
    Thanks

Guess I don't understand OneDrive; can anyone help?

I use a Dell XPS 8900 PC running Windows 10. I have a OneDrive account with more than a terabyte of available space. I want to use some of that OneDrive space to back up and sync all the files in my Documents directory (C:\Users\(username)\Documents), but for the life of me I can't get it to work the way I need it to.

If I drag and drop a file to the OneDrive folder on the PC, that file shows up in the "Documents" directory on-line. That tells me the sync function works. However, that file is now living in the OneDrive folder on my PC, not where I need it to be. I need to "tag" the Documents directory so it's synced to my OneDrive account.

Here are some screenshots that show how my OneDrive app is set up:

0.JPG

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

I've followed Microsoft "How to" pages to the letter to get this to work, but the files in my Documents, Pictures, and Public folders are not syncing with OneDrive (there are files in those on-line folders, but they were manually uploaded, not synced).

What the heck am I doing wrong?

--Larry

Thanks
    Do you have any folders in your One Drive Folder? If you do, and you right click on one of them, you are offered a menu on which you should select "choose One Drive Folders to Sync" and then select the folders you wish to sync.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    Do you have any folders in your One Drive Folder? If you do, and you right click on one of them, you are offered a menu on which you should select "choose One Drive Folders to Sync" and then select the folders you wish to sync.
    I assume you're referring to the OneDrive folder that resides on my PC. That menu is also available directly from the OneDrive desktop app, and I included it in one of my screenshots above.

attachment.jpg

Files and folders inside that OneDrive folder are already syncing with my OneDrive account online. What aren't syncing are the folders I've designated to be synced (my Documents, Pictures, and Public folders). As far as I can tell, I've checked all the proper folders to be synced, and the OneDrive app claims there are no sync problems, yet they're not actually syncing.

When I select "View online" in the app and examine the files in "the cloud", they're the same (old) versions I saw a week ago. Which are probably just the files I manually uploaded a week ago. If the Documents, Pictures, and Public folders on my PC are being synced in "the cloud", I sure can't find them.

--Larry

Thanks
    If I am understanding your question correctly, what you need to understand is that the Documents and Pictures folders you see in OneDrive are not the Documents and Pictures folders that are in your User account. If you want the files in your user Documents to be synced to OneDrive, there are two ways to make that happen - by relocating those folders, or using Libraries. See this webpage: http://www.howtogeek.com/183667/how-...on-windows-8.1

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that explanation.

I do not want to either relocate those folders or use Libraries.

I was hoping that OneDrive would provide me with cloud storage that would serve as a backup for selected files and folders on my PC, without my having to rearrangement how I work with the PC. It looks as if OneDrive wasn't designed to provide me with that. Which is a pity, because now more than a terabyte of free space will now probably go to waste.

--Larry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by larryc43230 View Post
    Thanks for that explanation.

I do not want to either relocate those folders or use Libraries.

I was hoping that OneDrive would provide me with cloud storage that would serve as a backup for selected files and folders on my PC, without my having to rearrangement how I work with the PC. It looks as if OneDrive wasn't designed to provide me with that. Which is a pity, because now more than a terabyte of free space will now probably go to waste.

--Larry
    I use OneDrive that way, but I needed to buy an app to backup all the folders I want to OneDrive. The app I use is not without quirks, has terribly stupid and rude support, but does the job relatively well - it's GoodSync.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't figured it out either, though I suspect you may have to copy your entire Documents folder (where your files are usually kept) into your OneDrive folder and manually sync them every once in a while. I assume this means a lot of duplicate files, but I'm not sure (see next paragraph).

This seems to be the case with Dropbox as well. You can apparently change your default working Document folder to the Dropbox folder, but somehow this seems risky to me as I haven't figured out whether the files are really still there in my PC and duplicated in the cloud or if the filenames on my PC are just markers or links to the files in the cloud. Maybe I'm more than a bit slow, but I'm confused about where the files end up.

The end result is that for the moment I have the files I am currently working on in two places, one in a Documents subfolder and one in my Dropbox folder so I can move from my PC to my laptop and access the latest version to continue work. At the end of a work session using the Document subfolder file, I copy it to the Dropbox folder. I later copy this file on the other computer from my Dropbox folder to overwrite the older version that's in the Documents subfolder.

I suppose that's as clear as mud but it covers the ground. (Anybody else remember Man piaba by Belafonte?)