Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Drinking the Cool Aide!

Hey Y'all,

I decided I'd been sitting on the bench too long with my main desktop beast and decided to upgrade today from 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro.

Here's my observations so far:
    1. I thought I'd miss the fancier interface but as it turns out the plainer W10 interface is much easier on my aging eyes.
    2. It seems that all my programs, with the exception of StartIsBack, transferred just fine. I did used the Media Creation Tool to create a USB key and did the upgrade from there.
    3. It did clean out a bunch of registry tweaks but I've got most of them back in place due to good documentation of my setup.(I'll look up the link and edit this area) and got virtually the same results! Down 17.7 Up 1.31. So neither Win 10 or the tweaking had any measurable effect.
      SpeedTests.PNG
    4. I was very surprised to find that MS Money Sunset Edition ran right out of the box w/o the previously required registry tweak!
    5. My desktop now sees my Win 10 Insider Laptop's shares which it would not do before in File Explorer. I could access the files by manually typing the machine name but it's nice to have it show up as a networked machine.
    6. As far as going in the other direction, I can easily access the files on this desktop from the laptop when signed in to my local account (homegroup disabled and using advanced sharing w/passwords). However, when logging on the laptop with my MS Account I can not access the desktop files as it keeps telling me my password is incorrect! I was hoping this would go away with W8.1 but not that lucky. On the other hand I only use the MS Account to update the Insider Builds so no big deal.
    7. I installed Classic Shell, yeah I know I'm a Luddite!, and it's working fine. Don't know if I'll try StartIsBack++ or not.

So all in all so far I'm pretty happy with W10. We'll see what the next couple of days bring. Of course I have a nice Macrium Reflect Image to fall back on.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2016-02-23),Fascist Nation (2016-02-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Trust me; you'll like Win10 much more than Win8.1 (not a fan of Metro; glad they killed it (well at least hide it well)).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did your upgrade do more or less to "clean up" your PC than you expected?

My main Win7 PC has had enough software loaded and unloaded and changed over the years that I have the feeling that it could do with a serious electronic enema and I have wondered if upgrading might be one path.

Clearly a clean install would do the most good but getting all the programs back and setup as I want them is PITA I would prefer avoiding. So if an upgrade does a really good job...
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    My desktop now sees my Win 10 Insider Laptop's shares which it would not do before in File Explorer. I could access the files by manually typing the machine name but it's nice to have it show up as a networked machine.
    @RG
    When I was on W10 ver 10240 all my network shares ( with my W7 machines ) were listed in File Explorer>network. I went to W10 ver 1511 this week and the only computer listed ( on the W10 laptop ) is the computer I'm on. It doesn't see the other W7 machines now BUT the W7 machines see the W10 computer and list it in File Explorer>network and I can access the W10 machine from them.
    You mentioned that you could type in the "other" computers name and access it. Where do I type in the name to access my W7 computers from the W10?

Thanks
    Lumpy,

Note: I only have the problem when using a MS Account and then only from the MS Account. The laptop has 2 accounts a MS Account and a Local. Eveything works well from the local account. I just can't access any of my other machines from the MS Account. However, I can get to to the laptop from all other machines! This is clearly a problem with MS Accounts so my advice is GO LOCAL. Keep in mind that I am NOT using a HOMEGROUP which may completely change the equation.

In answer to your question:
    lumpy.PNG

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-02-06)

Thanks
    I'm using a local account although I did sign in to my MS account on the original upgrade to 10240 for mail, etc.. I'm NOT using a HOMEGROUP either.
    All my W7 machines are assigned a static IP but the W10 is auto. Maybe I should assign the W10 a static IP also?

Thanks
    I installed Classic Shell, yeah I know I'm a Luddite!, and it's working fine. Don't know if I'll try StartIsBack++ or not.
    RG, I couldn't stand the Start Screen in Windows 8 so I was a Classic Shell user there as well, but I've grown to really like the Windows 10 Start Menu. I delete the Start Menu shortcuts I don't want. Then I pin my most used programs to the Task bar and my second tier to the Start Menu. I resized all the Start Menu icons to small. Getting to a program not in the start menu via the All Programs link is quick as well. I just click on All Programs, click on any letter and the whole alphabet shows up. Then click on a letter like W and all the programs that start with W show up. You might want to give it a try for awhile.

You might also want to browse the "Get Started" app. Its a good tutorial of all the new Win 10 features. Its the light Bulb icon on the Start Menu or click on Staet and type "Get Started".

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    ...When I was on W10 ver 10240 all my network shares ( with my W7 machines ) were listed in File Explorer>network. I went to W10 ver 1511 this week and the only computer listed ( on the W10 laptop ) is the computer I'm on. It doesn't see the other W7 machines now BUT the W7 machines see the W10 computer and list it in File Explorer>network and I can access the W10 machine from them...
    See my #19 post in the "Win10 network problem" thread at: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1042190

...You mentioned that you could type in the "other" computers name and access it. Where do I type in the name to access my W7 computers from the W10?
    See the sixth paragraph in my #1 post in the above thread.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-02-06)

Thanks
    See my #19 post in the "Win10 network problem" thread at: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1042190
    Thanks Coochin but I'm not sure I see the relevance in that post to my problem with the build 10586.71

See the sixth paragraph in my #1 post in the above thread.
    Thanks, that would be useful until the problem gets resolved.

Thanks
    Thanks Coochin but I'm not sure I see the relevance in that post to my problem with the build 10586.71...
    Just that the last couple of build updates seem to have fixed the networking problems after 1511.

Two days ago Win10 Home (upgraded from Win7) on my laptop installed Build 14257. There seems to have been further (fairly subtle) improvements to networking.

If you go to Start\Settings\Update and Security does "Check for Updates" return the cumulative update to Build 14257?
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Build 14257 is the latest Insider Preview build. Build 10586.71 is the latest cumulative update to 1511.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Build 14257 is the latest Insider Preview build. Build 10586.71 is the latest cumulative update to 1511.

Joe
    You are quite right Joe.

Win10 TP on the desktop PC updated itself earlier the same day as in my #10 post.

I've just run winver on both systems. Win10 TP on the desktop PC is 14257.1000 - Win10 Home (upgraded from Win7) on my laptop is 10586.71 so I must have confused the two.

Thanks
    @ Lumpy

Probably you should start a new thread in the "Networking" forum?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    @ Lumpy

Probably you should start a new thread in the "Networking" forum?
    Will do, and to clarify, I've never been on the insider program.

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

Just though I'd drop back in with an update. I've been using W10 Pro for 17 days now and nary a problem. Of course I'm using Classic Shell so it's almost like using Win 7 or 8 w/StartIsBack. Everything is running smoothly and I even like the "flat" look and font choices as I find them much easier on my old cataract affected eyes. Of course I've done all the things that can be done to keep W10 from phoning home.

Looks like I'll NOT be using my Image backup of Win 8.1 Pro.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast