2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Upgraded fourth - and last upgradeable PC in house to Win 10. New lessons learned!

I've concluded that doing Win 10 upgrades is almost as much a sure thing as playing Lotto! You take a chance every time you do it - both from an earlier OS or from one major release of 10 to the next. You do have basic precautions like turning off anti-virus, backing up, cleaning up, upgrading apps to current releases and the like before the Win upgrade.

With luck and that basic prep, you kick it off, come back hours later, clean up a bit, and resume using the PC. The cleanup is mainly reinstalling a few apps that MS MIGHT or WILL uninstall. For instance, if you have the Win 7 Solitaire, MS removes it (but you can put it right back). Gadgets, it WILL remove - they don't want you to use them (not arguing the point here). Some people have found tools like CCleaner gone; but that's not always the case. But putting things back to the way you want probably won't take very long. And I was amazed that after one recent upgrade from 7 to 10 - ver 1511, even my icons and Quick Launch stuck around (most times QL has to be reinstalled).

And then there are the other times. When I took my homegrown desktop to 1511, it took a few weeks and complete reinstallation - a few times, to get 10 working again and then 1511. At the first try, 1511 booted up - but explorer.exe would crash every few seconds. Eventually with some help from MS got 10 running again, and this time 1511 installed normally. One oddity - things like the bluetooth dongle that never worked before on 7 came to life on 10. One big difference was the disappearance of ASUS mobo related utilities. I'm thinking that such should be either uninstalled or disabled before doing OS upgrades. All I know for sure is that I found I don't miss them.

A couple days ago I went to upgrade a VAIO laptop from 7 straight to 1511. I did a full backup after a good cleanup - and went through failure after failure. First one - the Windows Reserved Partition was suddenly full. Cleaned it out, tried again and it was full again. Went through this a few times. I'd been trying to let WU do the upgrade; last time I'll ever do an OS to OS version upgrade that way. I then used Media Download tool - but direct to ISO and install; that failed a few times with a vague message that might have suggested USB related problems. I then did 2 things; created a flash drive ISO (got tired of waiting for another download), and unplugged both the Seagate Replica I use for backup, and the Linksys wifi N dongle (plugged in an ethernet cord instead), and tried again, and a few hours later found 10 - 1511 running. I logged into my (admin) account, it seemed OK, but my Quick Launch was gone, and the PC was being rather flaky. I reinstalled QL, then went to log into my daughter's non-admin account. And the PC hung. Forced it off, rebooted, logged into her account again, and to my amazement, found her QL intact, the screen looking just like it had pre upgrade but really up on 1511. I eventually plugged the Linksys dongle and the Seagate Replica back in, and they worked absolutely normally.

It shouldn't be so random or difficult. But it is. Everyone will, of course, get VERY different mileage. And that includes me on each of 4 different PC's that all started with Win 7 with no incompatible hardware. And like many here, I'm an IT professional, and still can't explain much of what happened. I did learn a few lessons - each time!

MS COULD make things a bit easier. It could tell us what is being removed - and why. It could give us actual trouble shooting to explain the vague error codes with clean, usable instructions for fixes (or give FIXIT's). For instance, a full System Reserved Partition deserves a fixit to truncate the logs - and in fact could make this part of the error handling in an upgrade. It could tell you that it wouldn't boot because some external device didn't get its device driver updated (yet) and that you should unplug them until after the upgrade is done - or just note the issue and bypass it for now, and keep a log with fixes noted. MS has listened to many Win 10 comments; but in a quarter century plus of Windoze still makes these OS upgrades far more messy and unpredictable then need be.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pbug56 For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-02-06)

Thanks
    The upgrade installations are actually far better than they had ever been.
    We've come an awful long way.
    Once upon a time we all used to do clean installs. The last time I did a clean install was with a brand new build from scratch.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Seeing that some have had CCleaner removed I searched for mine and it wasn't on my start page or start menu. A quick check with Everything showed the exe file was still there so I pinned it to my start page (should I use the 32 or 64 bit version?). But it's still not on the start menu - so how can I get it there?

As I said in my post about upgrading, it was only Speccy that was removed 'because it's not compatible'. I've just checked my Belarc advisors done just before and just after and nothing appears to be missing of any import (to me). Why I had "Dell SonicWALL - SonicWALL Mobile Connect Version 1.0.0.8" beats me; I don't have a Dell, but it's gone.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One ended up being a clean install

The first PC I had on Win 10 ended up needing a clean install to go to 1511. I could never figure out what the problem was especially since the upgrade from 7 to original 10 went very easily.

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    The upgrade installations are actually far better than they had ever been.
    We've come an awful long way.
    Once upon a time we all used to do clean installs. The last time I did a clean install was with a brand new build from scratch.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I did this last one, CCleaner completely survived the upgrade from 7 to 10-1511. So far I've found nothing other then gadgets and Win 7 MS games missing. Though I have no clue why MS removes the games since they are fully Win 10 compatible.