Thanks

Picture Tools in Word 2010

I have a document with some JPG pictures contained in a table. The Picture Tools seem to be working erratically, but I think it might be me.

When I select a picture then click Picture Tools and select Format, sometimes I get a ribbon that prominently includes a Picture Styles section. Its sections are labeled Adjust, Picture Styles, Arrange, and Size.

Other times I don't get this at all. Instead, I get a ribbon that features Shadow Effects, with a Border section that is grayed out. Its sections are Adjust, Shadow Effects, Border, Arrange, and Size.

It all seems to depend on the picture.

What is happening here?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The symptoms sound the same as the ones in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/different-menu-when-picture-drag-dropped-into/. Although that thread concerned Word 2013, and it never reached a solid solution, there are some workarounds that may be useful.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jjfreedman For This Useful Post:

Lou Sander (2016-02-06)

Thanks
    Thanks for the lead. Having read all those posts, I'm pretty sure that the different ribbons come from the differences between dragging and dropping and copying and pasting, both of which I was using in my document. I haven't checked it rigorously, though.

My workaround will be to always copy and paste.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA