Thread: MSI memory OC

New Lounger
    Thanks

Question MSI memory OC

I have a MSI 970a-G46 M/B. It says the memory goes to 2133 OC. I have installed 16 gigs of 2133 memory.

I am guessing that the M/B knows what's there. So is there something that I need to do to know it actually using it

as what it is????

thanks marc

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Go into the BIOS set up and look at the installed memory figure.
    Run Windows and start Task Manager (right click on the task bar). Select the "Performance" tab and click "Memory" on the right.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    To check the speed of the installed RAM, look in the BIOS. If the settings are not as described by the RAM maker, try using the XMP setting or set it up manually.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

waskelywabbit (2016-02-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ok so far the two places specified show 800 and 1600. did turn on the AMD XMP didn't change anything,, unless need to restart. Not to mention I am not sure about OC ing as in not sure what or how to do. with out smoking it.

so in order for the 2133 to happen I have to OC the memory??

Thanks
    800/1600* is correct, D*DR3 is 1300/1600Mhz, the first D is Double (Data Rate), so 800 base is really 1600 and yes, anything above 1600 is technically overclocked.

What make/model# is your RAM, we can dig around and find the default 2133 settings for it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Patriot / Viper pc3-17000 2133mhz. Not sure if anything else is needed .

Thanks
    Not 100% sure which memory that is, can you track down an SKU # for it (PV316G213C1K, PV38G213C1K, ...)?

It should be set for 1.5v and the timings 11-11-11-27(/30) and XMP 1.3. These should be set in the BIOS, the 'board manual should have full details on this (there might be a helpful Youtube video).

There's a review here which might be pertinent, it's based around an Intel 'board, so there will be differences. Main point there might be that 2133MHz required a small bump in voltage (+0.05v) to reach stability.

I'm not seeing great things about your 'board, or a real review so I'm hoping your CPU draws 95W or less.

Thanks
    The mainboard will not automatically detect and run your memory at the 2133 profile, it must be set by you.
    Memory placed in a system will usually run at it's lowest or default settings.
    MSI is a major manufacturer who will/should provide detailed overview on the ins and outs of it's own BIOS settings.

1. Download ALL of your detailed technical spec sheets concerning the board and get to know your BIOS/EUFI settings intimately.
    *Including how to flash a BIOS and perform BIOS recovery if needed.
    *How to setup your memory in it's XMP profile.
    2. Make certain your BIOS/EUFI is up to date.

A manual OC on memory is usually not needed with todays modern motherboards.
    There are exceptions, but you should really take the time to get to know what you are doing first.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2016-02-08 at 17:47.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-02-08),waskelywabbit (2016-02-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK the SKU your looking for is PV316G213C1KRD,,, which you seem to have listed there too. Right now when I looked at the voltage the BIOS says its running at is 1.4995. Not sure about the 5 but the nines I am.

Not sure if that is considered .5 or not.

Clint that's why I haven't done anything with this. Actually the first set of sticks I bought died,,,, when I went to play two online games the games would crash. It was like a YR or YR and half after I bought them.

I didn't even try to OC that set so I just left it,, but still died. Used mem test to find out.

Ive had the computer for awhile and other then the memory problem computer does fine. Home built. Its a AMD 4 core,,,, think its at 3.8

Thanks
    Check your boards temps too, I've been seeing a lot of feedback that would indicate that that MSI board can run really hot.
    Not ideal for overclocking anything unless you have a cooling setup capable of dealing with any potential overheating issues.

All major board makers, like MSI, will have a memory tested compatibility worksheet in their download sections.
    Make certain your chosen memory qualifies, or has at least been deemed workable and clockable by other users with same board.
    Make certain that the BIOS is set to it's factory defaults with NO post purchase or manual clock adjustments whatsoever BEFORE installing new memories.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2016-02-09 at 12:57.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.