Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Legacy Device Won't Hold Generic Drivers

I have a legacy USB device – a DAC – that I’ve used easily and successfully on several computers and with two or three different Windows operating systems. However, I cannot get this device to install correctly under Win10. When I first plugged it in, it worked fine. At every subsequent boot though, I have varying degrees of success, and I have to work to get the drivers to load correctly. I took screen shots of the drivers when it was working right and they match what’s installed now, but the device is still not working. Again. (Configure Descriptor Request Failed is the error I usually get.)

How do I get Win10 to behave? BTW: This is a new computer that came with Win10 preloaded.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by WSC3; 2016-02-07 at 08:06.

Thanks
    Have you tried the device on a different computer to check that it is not at fault?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. I can plug it into my old PC and it still works like a charm.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried it on a different USB port?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. I even tried a USB 3.0 port. I got it to work a couple of times. The device is in Devices and Printers, but is marked as having trouble.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    “I have varying degrees of success” & “I got it to work a couple of times. The device is in Devices and Printers, but is marked as having trouble.”
    --- Sounds like inconsistency happening.
    --- Is there an error code in device manager or when the Configure Descriptor Request Failed shows up?

Although it’s a different situation maybe here:
    http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-har...st-failed.html
    “Problem solved! Apparently Windows was booting too quickly, and the external devices were not detected before the boot was completed. I posted this same question on another forum, and someone suggested disabling the fast boot option in Power options.”

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Cmptrgy: That's interesting, but i can't get it to work with any consistency even reloading the drivers post boot. And the drivers look fine in the window on failure.
    Where are the Power options for booting?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do the drivers support Win10? I know, "legacy," so obviously not.

If not, does the DAC maker have updated drivers?

If not, does the DAC chip maker have updated drivers for Win10?

If not, is the DAC chip used in other DACs by other makers who have a Win10 support for the DAC chip? Or even Win8 support if your last legacy driver didn't even support that. [If the answer is yes, it is possible that maker's installation package will refuse to install because it cannot detect its device. But you can unpack the installation package and manually select the appropriate driver.]

http://forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?t=1308

http://www.pcworld.com/article/20894...n-windows.html

Can you get the device to work using Windows 10 Compatibility Mode?

http://www.windows10forums.com/artic...bility-mode.7/

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...device_manager - this link thrown in because thought it interesting but I don't think it helps the OP.

In the end you may have to either settle for a virtual OS to run the DAC but this may require a direct virtual hardware capability for your CPU, or leave a dedicated Win8.1 OS, or earlier whatever to run the DAC. I have something similar with an XP PC I maintain to run a SCSI based scanner that actually was made for Win9.x but runs under XP (mostly).
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-02-09 at 07:01.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-02-09)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The DAC I have is called the Stereo-Link Model 1200. It never came with its own drivers but was designed to run off of generic audio drivers which it did for both XP and Win 7. That was part of its ease of use charm and ultimately part of its demise. So no, there are no updated drivers. Stereo-Link is 90% out of business, but still repairing units and responding to emails. I emailed them and they told me that the failing driver was a known issue with Win10 (and some with Win7, even though it worked fine for me.) So no help from them.

I’ve gotten the drivers to install a couple of time and I took a screenshot of the drivers which match what is out there now, but it fails. Why is that? If it loads once, why won’t it repeat?

I will look at your articles when I get some time, but here’s my final question: How hard would it be to find someone to create a driver? The generic audio drivers from, say XP, would have to be upgraded to interface with Win10. Would this be hard to do? Or am I missing something?

Just a thought.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've gone back and looked at your references. Very good. I searched on my hardware ID and got no hits. The compatibility mode is only helpful for programs. So who creates specialized drivers??

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Who custom builds drivers?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So no one creates custom drivers?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15: Different product, but thanks anyway!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast