New Lounger
    Thanks

File history and changing computers

Suppose I have computer 1 using File History and putting the history on the disk of computer X. Then computer 1 dies, and I get computer 2 to replace it. It would be nice if I could set up File History on computer 2 and point it to the same location on computer X that computer 1 was using. But, I assume this won't work because there are the configuration files that were on computer 1 in C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Fi leHistory\Configuration\. Can I keep a backup of the configuration files and restore them to computer 2 so this will work?
    Last edited by David Marcus; 2016-02-07 at 11:40. Reason: typos

Thanks
    I think all you need to do is point fileHistory on Computer 2 to computer x. Note that the config files are also on computer x and are identical to the ones on computer 1 (they are on mine which is pointed at an external USB disk.)

If your computer 1 is actually dead then trying what I've just described shouldn't cause any problems. Do you use libraries? If you do then in File Explorer just select the (say) document library on computer 2 (which should be empty), select one folder and restore it. I say one folder as I'm not 100% sure if it will restore to original location if that location is missing.
    If not right click on the green restore button and choose 'restore to'.

I would suggest one folder to test as, although I think it would work fine, there's no guarantees in life (except death and taxes).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I just looked, and I do see the configuration files in the File History folder on computer X. Computer 1 actually died before we had set up File History, but we do have a regular backup of all the files, so we haven't lost anything. The reason I asked the question was so that I could set things up for the future and be sure I was backing up what I needed.