New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Cold Boot Problem

Recent Cold Boot --- Windows Hangs

For the last few weeks, I've had a cold boot problem that necessitated cycling power.

This is on a Lenovo Thinkpad T540p with i5 processor, 8 gb memory, 1 tb hard drive and windows 7 pro 64. System is 15 months old.

Recently, I've saved time by "restarting" at the sign on screen before full boot.

Windows hangs with the hourglass equivalent and reports "windows non-responsive" and "program not responding".

I've tried bootlogs, system restore disk, examining windows logs, run system file checker, and troubleshooting, and can't find anything amiss. It may be that the "restart" cures the problem. I have a full Acronis backup from 3 weeks ago. I also tried Neosmart windows easy repair and that did not work.

I'd rather not do a full restore.

I have an original disk for win 7 pro 64 from another machine. System came with Win 7 Pro 64 from Lenovo.

I'd welcome suggestions.

Thanks, Jack
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2016-02-10 at 12:51. Reason: Phone Number removed

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ah,yes, post a phone number or E-Mail address on open forums so one gets SPAM and Advertising.

I haven't seen that particular booting problem for a number of years but that was back when the computers were getting faster in processing but the HDD/Hard Disk Drive didn't get fully spun up and the OS missed getting the boot process, rebooting seemed to be the thing that caught the drive when it got at or closer to full speed. For a relatively recent HDD it could mean it has a problem. On the cold boot I'd watch for the prompt to enter the BIOS setup, may be the F2, Del, or some other key. Once that opens close it and the boot should complete normally. Have seen setting the BIOS to do a full P.O.S.T. display took long enough for the HDD to spin up. Main objective is to give the HDD time to get up to speed.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you do get it to boot, make a backup of your HDD your first priority as it may well be the culprit.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Download the trial version of HD Sentinel which will give a report on the status of your HDD.

http://www.hdsentinel.com/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    If you do get it to boot, make a backup of your HDD your first priority as it may well be the culprit.
    Thanks to all.

Passed HDSenntinal and Lenovo hardware diags.

Cheers, Jack

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, the differences between full boot and restart occur pretty early on. I am rather worried this is a hardware issue. (in order)

Remove any external devices in ports.

Boot up and run memtest86. I'd let it run overnight or 7 passes without error.
    http://www.memtest86.com/

Update BIOS to 2.22 if not already.
    http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/prod...40p?beta=false

Update drivers, particularity the chipset and SATA drivers.

Update video driver(s).

Check system with HWMonitor. (not very likely to spot an issue on a cold boot problem but easy to do).

Is this a Hitachi HDD? Other maker?

If system is backed up, run SFC /scannow.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-checker.html

If system is backed up do a repair install of OS.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How does the computer boot up from cold when you leave it in a clean boot state and which antivirus program are you using ?

Thanks
    Boot into Safe Mode -- this is "plain vanilla", bare-minimum mode. In other words, only the bare minimum of Windows functionality is running. If the problem doesn't occur while running in Safe Mode, then you can begin to narrow down what is causing it. For instance, it might be a video problem, because Safe Mode runs in very low resolution, VGA mode.

Here is some helpful information.

To get into Safe Mode, power on the computer and start tapping the F8 key as soon as the Lenovo splash screen disappears. You will soon see a menu, from which you can pick Safe Mode.

(You can also choose Safe Mode with Networking, if you need to download a driver or update while in Safe Mode.)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    How does the computer boot up from cold when you leave it in a clean boot state and which antivirus program are you using ?
    Drive is western digital. AV is Kaspersky.

I'll try safemode with clean boot.

Thanks to all.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCadogan View Post
    Drive is western digital. AV is Kaspersky.

I'll try safemode with clean boot....
    In that case try WD's test app. After all who better to test their drive than the maker? Data LifeGuard Diagnostics for Windows
    http://supportdownloads.wdc.com/down...sfDesktop_Blue

Safe Mode and clean boot are two separate things. If I understand what is happening on your PC I do not think either will help. But they are easy to do. And it might be interesting if the PC works well in Safe Mode but still hangs in a cold clean boot. Do both both from a cold boot and reset.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...mode=windows-7

If I understand your PC hangs on a cold boot but works fine on a reset.

If I am correct in my understanding then that pretty much restricts the issues between the things that occur early in the initial boot to check what is present in the system and if it is functioning nominally and what occurs in a warm boot. The only other thing that I can see happening if the hang is occurring when the windows initial splash screen comes up is the switch from low rez to high rez graphics which is less pronounced in a UEFI based system.

Otherwise the things that Win7 loads as an OS on boot are identical whether the initial boot or a reset boot and should not be involved.

I am not sure what an AV app has to do with that unless it loads itself before the OS which could be advantageous in examining rootkits but would have to either provide its own OS or run off of the BIOS/UEFI OS to pull that trick off.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-02-12 at 15:15.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One other thing you should do is: Does this happen on battery power?

Also, plug into the wall and remove the battery. Does it still happen?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    @ FN - A buggy AV program can cause all sorts of problems and isolating it for elimination is one thing to check.

@ JC - can you go Start - right click on Computer and select Properties - click on Windows Experience Index then on Advanced Tools and see if Performance issues is reporting any problems.