Thanks

Chasing the Cool Aide

Chasing the Cool Aide

RG do I owe you a commission on that

I have been trying to take a little time to learn W10, I set up a computer that is now my main (W7U) box with an external drive for W10TP. Ok no problems but now I am using that box as my main. My intention was to move the drive to my old computer but that was not sanctioned by MS. And alas it was at that point too late for a new TP activation. I used a non activatable install to an external SSD using the Bios boot menu to start. I fired it up once in a while, kept it up to date every thing seemed just fine. But twice this year I have lost the ability to boot my dual boot xp/W7 system. Being of a stubborn bend I spent many hours both times trying to get that working again but always had various problems: BSoD on XP right when I was thinking all was well , lock w/ blank screen w/ cursor onW7. I had to reimage for the first time ever to regain functionality ( that XP install had been going fine for 13 years!)

Well ok. I will just go ahead and upgrade the W7 part, no problem. Well no problem forseen. After a few attempts and a few WU upgrades the message I get is :this pcs processor doesn't support a critical feature (nx)

My processor an Intel E2160 has NX support according to ark.intel.com !
    MS told me to call Intel! Ha!

So the moral of the story: If you are planning on upgrading a system to W10 use the W8 upgrade assistant to check! http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...oad-online-faq

Well maybe on to the 8.1 laptop.....

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Wavy,

Perhaps it's not the Processor but rather the Chip Set? I found this comment on the Intel communities site:

Question: Can an Intel core 2 duo E6550 @2.33GHz run Windows 8/8.1?

Reply:
    This processor is compatible with the 3 & 4 Express Chipset series. The compatibility with the operating system is not related to the processor but the chipset and I am afraid to say that at this point these chipsets support up to Windows* 7 only.
    Perhaps a few queries with both your processor and chipset info would turn up info specific to your situation.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanks for the effort RG. I tried that site no go maybe my processor is just too old. Just for kicks I tried the W8 assistant and it also said Nx not supported by my cpu.

Maybe I will just leave well enough alone.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.