New Lounger
    Thanks

Print spooler error

Running Windows XP on a Dell E520 computer. The system is fully updated (for XP anyway) and is protected by Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. I would appreciate advice on a printing problem.

I have a HP Deskjet printer and the Foxit PDF printer driver installed. Until recently both were working with no problems. However, when I now boot up I am informed that the print spooler has been switched off in order to protect my computer. Both printers remain listed in Start|Settings|Printers&Faxes, but when attempting to print in any application nothing happens. In Services the print spooler is shown as 'started' with 'automatic' start type. In Events the error shown is 'The print spooler service terminated unexpectedly'.

I used System Restore to roll back to late December. I could again print successfully but my Kaspersky refused to run. All Kaspersky files were present but would not respond. When I attempted to reinstall Kaspersky the installation fell over and aborted. Attempts to uninstall Kaspersky failed with a message that the application could not be found.

Choosing between a computer that would print but was not secure and a non-printing secure computer was easy and I returned to the present state. This prompted a spate of messages stating that certain files had been renamed - and yes they were all Kaspersky files. I was however able to install Kaspersky and am again secure but cannot print.

Any advice gratefully received.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    May I add that the problem is unlikely to involve the printer, drivers, etc as I can successfully print from other computers through wifi.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Un-install Foxit to see if that resolves the issue.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, I salute you, sir. Deleted Foxit and computer now seems to print OK. Fingers crossed, but much appreciated!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Maybe Kaspersky doesn't like Foxit? Check the Kaspersky forum.
    FWIW, I run Foxit and Panda and have no issues.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I like Kaspersky as it can really harden a PC ,but it can do a lot of things to your PC without really letting you know it is doing it to "protect" your PC.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul
    I run also Foxit on my Windows 7 Pro laptop without any problems. I will contact Kaspersky and also Foxit.
    May try to install Foxit again now that the problem has been identified - it may only be the pdf printer driver.
    Joe