3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Removing the need for a password at boot

I have just upgraded from 7 to 10. Boot up takes about 25 seconds longer now, partly because with Win 7 I did not need a password to load, now I do - can I remove the need for a password as I am the only one that uses my home computer - if so, how do I do it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can use SysInternals Autologon or do as described here (it should apply to Windows 10 without issues).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-02-08)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can disable the need for password, but, if you somehow change you M$ password, get ready for a headache (had helped an elderly friend autolog; then she changed her password and it messed her login. She would see multiple accounts when boot up, but then when log off, only saw one account (as there should be). I had to disable autolog, re-enable it, then I disabled it (told her to just use the pin we set up for her; more security). What a pain (over an hour to figure out what was going on including her admission that she forgot her password and had to change it for whatever reason). I would set up a pin and then be happy if I were you. Again, you can set up autolog (too lazy to find the online thread that had this; you can search). Again, I would highly not recommend doing so to avoid possible headaches later on. Pin is fine; if you cannot remember 4 to 6 digits, then, you don't need to be using a PC.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lylejk For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-02-08)

Thanks
    Have a look at this How to Automatically Sign in to User Account at Startup in Windows 10 article.

I used the first option, i.e. using netplwiz, and it worked perfectly.

Edit: It also solved an annoying (and well-known) bug where Win 10 booted to a black screen... which I could only 'fix' by pressing the power button to send the laptop to sleep then press it again to wake it. Unfortunately, this 'fix' only works if I shut down completely... if I do a restart I get a black screen again and have to do the sleep/wake shuffle.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-02-08 at 08:38. Reason: Additional info

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2016-02-08)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks everyone - I have just used netplwiz and it worked perfectly, although it is disappointing that boot up takes a lot longer than with Windows 7 - maybe because of all the extra stuff the new Win 10 loads, plus the 21 GB for the old system which I will delete after four weeks. I intend to print out the procedure and add the password that I used - I suspect there could be trouble if I have to change the general Microsoft password.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pin is fine; if you cannot remember 4 to 6 digits, then, you don't need to be using a PC.
    If you have memory problems, a PC may be an enormous help.

Thanks
    It is disappointing that boot up takes a lot longer than with Windows 7

Make sure that Fast Startup is enabled.

Go to “Power options” in the Start Menu.
    Click “Choose what the power buttons do” on the left side of the window.
    Click “Change settings that are currently unavailable.”
    Under “Shutdown settings” make sure “Turn on fast startup” is enabled.

On a clean install, this setting should be enabled by default, however if you’re upgrading from a previous install with tweaked power settings, it might not be.

Download Autoruns

http://filehippo.com/download_autoruns/

Run as Administrator. Under the Logon tab, check for and untick any programs you don't need to run at start up as they slow down the boot time..

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Calimanco has got us back on track. If it is taking 25 seconds longer then there is something wrong or a setting that needs changing rather than eliminating the password step---which is also a perfectly valid desire. Fix the problem would be better than eliminating the password step. Although doing both may speedup even further. One of the advantages in Win10 is faster (perceived) bootup.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found a number of problems with my software, including Office 2003 where I could not copy/paste from a webpage but could from normal documents, that I decided to revert to Windows 7 - it is once more very fast and everything works perfectly. I am glad I tried Windows 10 but it is not for me.