Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Partitions in PC updated to Windows 10

I have a HP desktop which had installed Win 7 when I purchased it. The disk set up includes Os(C: ), Recovery Image(D: ), and System Reserve(E: ).

I have since updated through Win 8 and installed Win 10.

I understood that with the original Win 7, OS recovery could be had through the D: and E: partitions. Never had to do that so I don't really know anything about how that words. Now with Win 10 installed through the usual automatic download and install, has the content of the D: and E: partitions been changed to reflect the updated OS Win10, or is this just useless leftovers from the Win 7 or Win 8?

I'm getting ready to set up Backup and Recovery and want to know what to do with D: and E: ????

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not 100% sure of the answer but it's my understanding that an upgrade to Win10 does not touch the non-OS partitions. So the recovery partition would be what was there when you purchased the computer.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I'm not 100% sure of the answer but it's my understanding that an upgrade to Win10 does not touch the non-OS partitions. So the recovery partition would be what was there when you purchased the computer.
    After poking around the Window 10 web support, I'm inclined to agree. It seems the Win 7/8 Recovery Image and System Reserved partitions are too small for Win 10. So during the upgrade they are ignored. It looks like I would have to increase the size of those partitions to 350 MB to use them. Not true if install of Win 10 is new (not just upgrade) as the installer does a repartition. Too bad, since I'm not comfortable playing around with partitions.

Thanks
    W10's installer will do a re-partition from an upgrade (from W7 ime, not checked W8+) if there's no suitable free space (W7 doesn't require a 2nd partition for the Boot files, though it will default to that on a clean install). What sizes are your current partitions?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    W10's installer will do a re-partition from an upgrade (from W7 ime, not checked W8+) if there's no suitable free space (W7 doesn't require a 2nd partition for the Boot files, though it will default to that on a clean install). What sizes are your current partitions?
    But it will preserve the Factory Recovery partition.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    The Recovery partition is 19.6GB (2.41 free); System Reserved is 99MB(68MB). I have 1.23T of 1.79T in partition OS C: free.
    Last edited by Rbollin39; 2016-02-08 at 14:47.

Thanks
    System Reserved is still the 'old' size, 2.41GB free in the Recovery partition means the W10 Boot data could reside there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can't say I've ever seen any tool that can tell someone what's on these partitions, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't one.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Assign a drive letter to the System Reserved partition and you can see its contents with File Manger.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure you can assign a drive letter to a recovery partition. At least I can't.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    I just did it in Windows 10 via Disk Management. Right Click on the System Reserve partition and click on Change Drive letters and path.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does assigning a drive letter to that partition affect its proper functioning during boot and when using encryption ?

Thanks
    Doesn't affect boot. Don't know about encryption.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I just did it in Windows 10 via Disk Management. Right Click on the System Reserve partition and click on Change Drive letters and path.
    Which is different from the recovery partition. And one of the questions is, what's on that after you upgrade.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    My bad. The Recovery Partition is not modified by a Windows 10 install. It will contain the same Factory Install data. And yes you can't assign a drive letter to it.

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast