New Lounger
    Thanks

Re-installing Win 10 after rolling out the initial install

I initially install Win 10 but had to roll back to my previous Win 7 due to incompatibility with my then Radeon X1550 video card, it would not support dual monitors.

I have now upgraded to a new Geforce GT 610 card and I'm ready to install Win 10 again.

However, when I click the icon on my task bar to initiate the install, I still get a complaint that my (now OLD no longer in the machine) X1550 card is not compatible and I do not get the option to start the install.

Any workaround would be appreciated, Thank You.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jlegault View Post
    I initially install Win 10 but had to roll back to my previous Win 7 due to incompatibility with my then Radeon X1550 video card, it would not support dual monitors.

I have now upgraded to a new Geforce GT 610 card and I'm ready to install Win 10 again.

However, when I click the icon on my task bar to initiate the install, I still get a complaint that my (now OLD no longer in the machine) X1550 card is not compatible and I do not get the option to start the install.

Any workaround would be appreciated, Thank You.
    I've had that problem with older versions of Windows and it was necessary to use Device Manager to change the Display Adapter to a generic Windows version then shut down and remove the video card before installing the new one. That's not possible with Onboard/Built-in adapters so it becomes necessary to change to a generic version then uninstall any and all software associated with adapter before installing an Add-in video card.

Added: it may help to run CCleaner to remove references to the old card from the Registry after doing the uninstall.
    Last edited by Berton; 2016-02-08 at 14:23.

Thanks
    Yeah, you'll need to clean the current system up a bit.
    Device Manager; Remove Old Drivers After Upgrading to New Hardware
    The above article will show you how to unhide hidden device manager settings.

The previous card's drivers should have been uninstalled first, if you have not done so use CCleaner, or the cards video driver uninstaller located in it's root folder.
    If you have already uninstalled the previous card's drivers then follow the instruction to unhide hidden items in device manager.
    Registry Cleaning: Look for references to the old card and delete, but do so carefully.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2016-02-10 at 13:51.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I've cleaned up my system following the advise of Berton and CLiNT and I'm fairly confident that there should be no more traces of the old Radeon card left but I'm still seeing the incompatible message on the launch panel for the Win 10 install.

There is also a note saying the report was last run on January 26 which is before I changed the card. Based on what I've found on the net, that report is triggered by some kind of schedule which may be every 30 days or so.

So, unless there is a way to trigger this, I'll have to wait until the next report, if and when it happens and hope that it does not find any issue and allows me to proceed with the install.

Thanks for your help

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you have the GWX application you can use it to check compatibility.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If you have the GWX application you can use it to check compatibility.

Joe
    But no one knows how to re-run the compatibility check.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    It is in the hamburger menu.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems the compatibility check has now been rerun automatically and says my machine is now ready to be upgraded to Win 10.

I guess I know what I'll be doing in the next few days.