New Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop wallpaper image file

I want to find the image file for my desktop wallpaper in Windows 10. It has been the same picture for five versions of Windows...98, 7, 8, 8,1 and now, 10. Where is it?

Thanks,\Bob

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobhock View Post
    I want to find the image file for my desktop wallpaper in Windows 10. It has been the same picture for five versions of Windows...98, 7, 8, 8,1 and now, 10. Where is it?

Thanks,\Bob
    I would think the subject is in the wrong place, not actually part of Internet Explorer or Edge. Internet Explorer and Edge are the Web browsers while File Explorer [formerly Windows Explorer] is the File Management application. Can you locate the picture in Personlize on the right-click of the Desktop?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I would think the subject is in the wrong place, not actually part of Internet Explorer or Edge. Internet Explorer and Edge are the Web browsers while File Explorer [formerly Windows Explorer] is the File Management application. Can you locate the picture in Personlize on the right-click of the Desktop?
    Yes, I can locate the picture in Personalize, but there is no link to where it lives, and it can't be copied.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobhock
    Yes, I can locate the picture in Personalize, but there is no link to where it lives, and it can't be copied.
    Do you mean the pictures stored in the C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows 10 folder?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Do you mean the pictures stored in the C:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Windows 10 folder?
    No, it is not there. The only pictures there are stock Windows pictures.

Thanks
    The location of your desktop wallpaper is stored in the registry... so this value can be retrieved with a simple .BAT file. Note that you are only going to read a value from the registry, not make any changes, so this is perfectly safe.

1. Copy/paste the following 2 lines into Notepad.

Code:
    REG QUERY "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /v "Wallpaper"
    Pause
    (The second line is just to keep the command prompt open whilst you read the result of the REG QUERY.)

2. Save the Notepad file as something like wallpaper.bat (not wallpaper.bat.txt)

3. Double-click on this new .BAT file and make a note of the filepath for the image used as your desktop wallpaper.

As an example, here's the result from my PC:
    wallpaper.png
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Screenshot attached (hope it is legible) showing that I can't create the path that the .bat file returned.

You may feel free to abandon this if I'm too much of a PITA now...I am buffaloed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobhock View Post
    Screenshot attached (hope it is legible) showing that I can't create the path that the .bat file returned.

You may feel free to abandon this if I'm too much of a PITA now...I am buffaloed.
    I don't know which image you desire but the one I have for a Desktop background is named CachedImage_1440_900_POS4.jpg and is stored in C:\Users\Bert\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Th emes and the CachedFiles subFolder. I haven't experimented with a Slideshow for the Desktop yet, busy fixing other peoples problems.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobhock
    You did it. The image file you are using as a desktop wallpaper is called "windows photo viewer wallpaper.jpg". I suspect this means that at some point in the past you right-clicked on an image then selected a context menu option to Set as your desktop background or did this within a phota viewer. This made a copy of the original image, called the copy "windows photo viewer wallpaper.jpg" and stored this copy within a sub-folder buried deep within your 'Bob' profile... the parent folder of which is hidden by default. As the parent folder - AppData - is hidden it prevents you from searching, seeing or drilling down to the copy of the image file.

The full filepath of the image file - as shown by the .BAT script - is:
    C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Theme s\RoamedThemeFiles\DesktopBackground\windows photo viewer wallpaper.jpg
    Note: Unfortunately this forum's software can't handle the display of long filepaths and inserts spurious spaces when it shouldn't.

There's 2 ways to get to the file, a search (now you know the filename) or just to drill down. First, you have to enable showing hidden files and folders so do this.

a. Open File Explorer.

b. In the File menu, select Change folder and search options.

_hidden01.png
    Click to enlarge

c. In the Folder Options dialog that appears, select the View tab.

d. Scroll down the list until you get to Hidden files and folders then select the option to Show hidden files, folders and drives.

e. Whilst not strictly necessary, I suggest you also remove the tick from the Hide extensions for known file types.

f. Click on the Apply button at the bottom of the dialog.

g. Now click on the Apply to Folders button in the Folder views area at the top of the dialog.

h. A Folder Views dialog will appear. Click on the Yes button to confirm your choice and dismiss the dialog.

i. Finally, click on the OK button to dismiss the dialog.

_hidden02.png
    Click to enlarge

If you navigate to This PC > Local Disk ( C: ) > Users > Bob you will now be able to see the previously hidden AppData folder. You can continue to drill down or you can copy and paste the filename windows photo viewer wallpaper.jpg into the Search box. Either way, you should now be able to find the file you've been searching for.

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    You did it. The image file you are using as a desktop wallpaper is called "windows photo viewer wallpaper.jpg". I suspect this means that at some point in the past you right-clicked on an image then selected a context menu option to Set as your desktop background or did this within a phota viewer. This made a copy of the original image, called the copy "windows photo viewer wallpaper.jpg" and stored this copy within a sub-folder buried deep within your 'Bob' profile... the parent folder of which is hidden by default. As the parent folder - AppData - is hidden it prevents you from searching, seeing or drilling down to the copy of the image file.

The full filepath of the image file - as shown by the .BAT script - is:
    C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Theme s\RoamedThemeFiles\DesktopBackground\windows photo viewer wallpaper.jpg
    Note: Unfortunately this forum's software can't handle the display of long filepaths and inserts spurious spaces when it shouldn't.

There's 2 ways to get to the file, a search (now you know the filename) or just to drill down. First, you have to enable showing hidden files and folders so do this.

a. Open File Explorer.

b. In the File menu, select Change folder and search options.

_hidden01.png
    Click to enlarge

c. In the Folder Options dialog that appears, select the View tab.

d. Scroll down the list until you get to Hidden files and folders then select the option to Show hidden files, folders and drives.

e. Whilst not strictly necessary, I suggest you also remove the tick from the Hide extensions for known file types.

f. Click on the Apply button at the bottom of the dialog.

g. Now click on the Apply to Folders button in the Folder views area at the top of the dialog.

h. A Folder Views dialog will appear. Click on the Yes button to confirm your choice and dismiss the dialog.

i. Finally, click on the OK button to dismiss the dialog.

_hidden02.png
    Click to enlarge

If you navigate to This PC > Local Disk ( C: ) > Users > Bob you will now be able to see the previously hidden AppData folder. You can continue to drill down or you can copy and paste the filename windows photo viewer wallpaper.jpg into the Search box. Either way, you should now be able to find the file you've been searching for.

Hope this helps...
    That did it. I thank you very much...appreciated.

Thanks
    Excellent.

Consider using the Thread Tools to mark the thread as Solved:
    _mark_thread_as_solved.png
    Click to enlarge

PS - Now I know what 'to be buffaloed' means.