3 Star Lounger
    Southwest USA

AVG Scan detected macros and locked files

I just did an AVG Anti-Virus Free 2016 scan of my entire Desktop computer running Windows XP Pro.

Obviously, this is a very old Desktop computer & I use it less & less every day as I slowly get everything moved over to my new Desktop.

No threats were noted.

But, it did show:
    69 Notifications of files that contained Macros
    4 Notifications of Locked Files that were not scanned

What exactly does that mean?

Should I be concerned?

Files that contain macros are often things like Microsoft Word documents and Excel spreadsheets (or, less usually, PowerPoint presentations, etc.). AVG should be able to list the files it has found with embedded macros.

It's not something to be overly concerned about if you know the origin of the files and if the default behaviour of MS Office is set to disallow the automatic running of macros.

However, it's difficult to give a definitive answer without more information about what types of files have been flagged up by AVG.

Silver Lounger
    Forever West
    4 Notifications of Locked Files that were not scanned
    I've seen that before and it meant AVG couldn't get full access to the file/s to be able to clean them, probably meant they were Read-only or Passworded. Such files can come from other computers and contain macros that carry a possibility they can be infected.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-02-10)