New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10, Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, Intermittent ethernet disconnect

There was a thread last year about this controller. The problem I'm having is different. The controller has the latest driver but randomly disconnects. Most of the time, unplugging and replugging the ethernet cable fixes the problem, but not always. Sometimes a reboot is required.

The machine is a Dell Inspiron 7737 laptop with the Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller on the MB. The machine shipped in December with Windows 8.1. I immediately upgraded to Windows 10. The device manager was set to allow the computer to automatically turn off the controller to save power. I disabled that option but it has not resolved the issue. I can use the laptop in WiFi mode, but I prefer not to when financial transactions are involved. It has been a real bitch isolating this issue because I was also having service provider issues through Comcast. We've finally isolated it down to this device. Our other laptop, a Toshiba, has had no issues. Exchanging the ethernet cable between machines did not resolve and using a different modem port didn't either. The signal from Comcast is now solid and has been verified to have virtually no jitter (about 1-2 ms).

I'm at my wits end... I'm about ready to get a cheap outboard USB ethernet adapter... Suggestions?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Open Device Manager and un-install the ethernet controller. Re-boot and let Windows re-install it.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Similar to my Inspiron N5050.

Open Device Manager, double-click on the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, select the Power Management tab and take the tick out of the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power checkbox. Click on the OK button to dismiss the dialog then close Device Manager.

dell.png
    Click to enlarge

Let us know if this improves matters.

Hope this helps...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are talking about this driver, Realtek RTL8411B-US Ethernet Controller Driver, on Dell's support site for your laptop it is from 2013 and doesn't state Win10 support.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us...driverId=889RP

Download the latest driver for Win10:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/

Sorry I would have had a more specific link but of course this site has decided at this point to timeout. I am sure it will work just fine in 20 minutes after I no longer need access. Grrrrrrr!!!!!

http://www.dell.com/support/my-suppo...spiron-17-7737

In the end, it may be a defective Ethernet port/controller. You did a good job narrowing it down to this device. And new laptop means covered under Dell warranty.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-02-09 at 07:57.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, everybody.

I pulled a fresh download from Realtek, uninstalled, re-installed via Realtek's setup.exe, and then went to properties and turned off both the Green Ethernet and Energy Efficient Ethernet options. So far, so good