Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Question NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M display adapter is disabled by Win 10.

Looking I Device Manger it looks like this:

ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 09 11.21.jpg

ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 09 11.22.jpg
    I have been trying to uninstall it and delete the driver software. But after a restart, the situation is exactly the same. I have also been trying to search for a new driver, but the result is always:

"The best driver software for your device is already installed"

Now I do not quite understand the importance of this message. My impression is that my computer is working without noticeable problems, but still I would like to know how I can fix this issue.

Thanks for any info and/or suggestions

Jan Erik
    Last edited by xangler; 2016-02-09 at 06:17.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Don't trust Windows Update for driver updates. Download the most current driver from NVidia.

Joe

Thanks
    That on board GPU should be disabled as well. (disabled from within BIOS)

http://www.geforce.com/drivers
    NVIDIA
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks!
    I managed to update the driver, and I'm quite confident I have the correct one installed now, ver. 361.75 dated 22. Jan 2016. But in Device manager there is no change. Still the same message about the device having been stopped (code 43). Could it indicate a technical problem with the device itself?

Btw, I briefly checked in BIOS, but I could not find an obvious way to disable the onboard GPU (which is the INTEL 4600 I guess?)
    Jan Erik

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ...the onboard GPU (which is the INTEL 4600 I guess?)
    Yes, your integrated GPU is an Intel HD 4600. Intel iGPUs are always HD xxxx series or Iris Pro series. You should be able to cross-check this too; your CPU ought to be an Intel i3, i5, or i7.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

reboot, then reinstall that new nVidia driver

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done the Guru3d clean. After the cleaning the Device manager looked like this:
    ScreenHunter_04 Feb. 10 11.31.jpg

Then I reinstalled the NVIDIA driver and the problem was back:
    ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 09 11.21.jpg

The 3d video controller is OK again.

Could it be caused by a hardware failure?
    Jan Erik
    Last edited by xangler; 2016-02-10 at 06:04.

Thanks
    It's caused by the lack of W10 updated drivers/software from the notebook manufacturer.

If they don't supply the drivers necessary, then you have to try to hack it so that only one GPU is active. Getting the nvidia option as the only active adapter usually means disabling the Intel graphics in the BIOS, if you can't do that, things can become very tricky.

Do some searching based on your notebook model# and Windows 10, there must be others that have tried this. Don't forget to check on the manufacturer's forum/site, there might be some recent updates.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

xangler (2016-02-10)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Do some searching based on your notebook model# and Windows 10, there must be others that have tried this. Don't forget to check on the manufacturer's forum/site, there might be some recent updates.
    Yes, I did a search, and YES I found a lot of frustration and anger out there. Obviously ASUS, are famous for NOT providing usable drivers. If I am to believe all I have read It would have been a sensation if it did work on my PC. Some people seem to have found creative ways to fix it, but I don't trust myself to try those procedures. If I'm not mistaken, I shall have to let the onboard GPU do the job, until, may be some time in the future ASUS will provide an updated driver. Just to hve it said, my next PC will not be an ASUS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Stupid Questions

Isn't the dedicated graphics card supposed to automatically disable the integrated graphics card.

Is it possible that the dedicated graphics card is just not seated properly?

But then, if it were not seated properly, it would not show up in Device Manager, would it?

Thanks
    Sure, Steven, that would normally be the case in a Desktop PC, this is a notebook designed to use switchable graphics (note the GTX 760M for Mobile).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Sure, Steven, that would normally be the case in a Desktop PC, this is a notebook designed to use switchable graphics (note the GTX 760M for Mobile).
    I warned that they were stupid questions.

Actually, I did see others references to a Notebook.
    But, I totally missed that M for Mobile.

But then I saw in the Screenshots in Post #7, it showed DESKTOP-JANERIK2
    And in Post # 9, OP said his next PC would not be an ASUS

But thanks anyway for your kind admonishment.

Lounger
    Thanks
    This issue continues to bother me. Frequently also the Intel graphics driver stops working and is then corrected by windows in a second. (all I see is a flickering on the screen and the error message in the lower right corner). But it must be something wrong with this driver too, mustn't it?
    Now, does anyone know what will happen if I disable the Intel driver (the onboard graphic card)? Could it any wanted actions from the NVIDIA?

Thanks
    For TDR 117 issues (graphics driver stops working and is then corrected by windows in a second), there are many possible fixes (https://www.sysnative.com/forums/bso...116-0x117.html).

If your notebook model was designed for, or was released with, W8.1, you might be able to force-install the W8.1 drivers and block W10 from installing/updating hardware drivers.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I too have a problem with discrete graphics on a laptop. No errors but I don't think I'm using the optimal driver.

The issue I'm having, and that I suspect you are having, is the way that mobile graphics are sold to these systems vendors (ASUS for you, HP for me). They aren't getting complete graphics solutions, they are getting chipsets that the vendors then assemble into a completed discrete graphics system.

Based upon this the graphics vendors (NVIDIA for you, AMD for me) have a policy that they don't provide graphics drivers. The systems builders do. And if the systems vendors don't provide a graphics driver for the newest operating systems, the customer is left in the lurch. You can revert to the internal graphics, try running a generic NVIDIA driver, or try running an older Windows 8 or 7 driver. Or you can wait and hope that ASUS steps up to the plate and deliver a proper Windows 10 driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast