Thread: Gmail question

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gmail question

Please forgive my really basic GMail question:

I use Windows Live Mail (WLM) on my W7 SP1 desktop. I am thinking of switching over to GMail.

With WLM I am able to access my Hotmail account and another email one from RoadRunner.

My question is: would I be able to access these 2 accounts from my GMail account?

In other words, if someone sent me an email using my hotmail address would it be accessible from GMail?

Thanks for your help,
    Dick

Thanks
    Sometimes a picture's worth a thousand words... so a video may be even more useful. Have a look at this Using Gmail to manage multiple email accounts YouTube video (or Setting up multiple email accounts in gmail, although I didn't find this quite as good as the previous one).

If you prefer reading rather than watching, this Manage Multiple Email Accounts From one Gmail Account article is, IMO, one of the better ones.

Hope this helps...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-02-09)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Add-on question before I take the plunge:
    I have many folders with many saved emails in my WLM account.
    Can these be imported into GMail?

THank you,
    Dick

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y
    Add-on question before I take the plunge:
    I have many folders with many saved emails in my WLM account.
    Can these be imported into GMail?
    I had no need to do this when I set up my own Gmail account so I can't say from personal experience. However, articles like Import Your Mail from Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail or Outlook Express in Gmail show that it's possible, including contacts as well.

Set up your GMail account, get it working with your additional email accounts, import mail and contacts from WLM and then, when you're happy all is working as you want, you can stop using WLM.

Hope this helps...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-02-09)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm back . . .after spending a few days troubleshooting an issue on my system.

Rick pointed me to a helpful article; but, after reading it, I am still unsure of the answer to my question: I have many folders with many saved emails in my WLM account. Can these be imported into GMail?

I don't want to have to go folder by folder, so I am wondering if anyone knows whether all my WLM sub-folders can be imported without having to do them 1 by 1?

Thank you,
    Dick

Thanks
    I suppose that everyone else knows exactly what you're talking about, but I'm still confused.

Windows Live Mail is a program on your computer, but GMail is not.... it lives in a Google Mail server somewhere, maybe in Russia or China....who really knows.

Personally, since Google is such an information hog, I want to keep my address book, and saved email on my own computer, where I have complete control over it.

Both your Address Book and Saved Email folders can be Exported to a folder on your hard drive.
    Then they can be further saved to a CD or flash drive for permanent storage. I like that!

But, I tried Windows Live Mail and found it seriously lacking and very hard to properly set up.
    So, in my own defense, I'm using "Windows Mail" as it was presented by MS, in Windows Vista.
    I just copied the Windows Mail files from Vista to Windows 8.1 and it works GREAT!

Yes, I have several GMail accounts, but I do nothing with them at Google. I do everything on my own computer.
    I even have Windows Mail set up just like I did, years ago, with Outlook Express, to check my mail box every 3 minutes, all day long.

Good Luck to you!
    The Doctor

PS: Lately I've been testing a new email program, called "O.E. Classic". It works almost exactly like Outlook Express or Windows Mail and although it's still under development, it works GREAT.
    Since MS Updates can totally disable Windows Mail, OE Classic is a very good program for those who can't fix their own Windows Mail program when it gets borked by MS Updates.
    Last edited by DrWho; 2016-02-15 at 13:05.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-02-15)