Thanks

A solution for internet connection issues

A recent discussion here at the WS Lounge reminded me of a solution I stumbled upon accidentally for internet connection problems.

Several years ago we had Cox cable internet, with a separate modem and router. We often would lose the connection and would have to reset the modem or router, or call Cox tech support.

Then one day we switched our phone service from Cox to Vonage. The Vonage VOIP box plugged directly into the modem, and then the router plugged directly into the outport on the Vonage VOIP box.

At that point, our internet problems seemed to disappear. It appeared that Vonage was doing a lot of auto error correction. And on those occasions when we did have internet connection problems, I could pick up the phone to see if I had a dial tone; if I did, then I knew that the connection was good at the modem, because the Vonage box was plugged directly into the modem. On those occasions, typically all I needed to do was power down the router, then power it up.

We had a separate modem and router, with the Vonage box plugged in between the modem and the router. This gave us certain benefits:
    * If there was an internet connection problem, I could easily check the modem simply by picking up the phone to see if I had a dial tone.
    * Vonage got first dibs on the bandwidth (a good thing for VOIP phone service).
    * Vonage did automatic error correction on the internet connection. (Some of that would likely have occurred even if the Vonage box was plugged into the router rather than the modem.)

This is one of the reasons I prefer a separate modem and router, rather than an all-in-one modem/router.

I found Vonage to be excellent quality and very reasonably priced. You may want to consider them for your home phone service, especially if you make a lot of international calls.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-02-09 at 10:05.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In the UK ADSL comes down the phone line and requires a microfilter between the master socket (you probably call them phone jacks ?) and modem/router combo which are standard in the UK these days, even for Fiber with some ISPs.

The microfilters separate voice from broadband http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/splitters.htm

When the connection goes down, we can also check to see if our phone has a dial tone.

Error Correction is a standard ISP setting through Interleaving, unless a user is a gamer and requires better Latency and would request to be changed to FastPath.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2182

It would seem there is a difference in broadband technology between the US and the UK.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    It would seem there is a difference in broadband technology between the US and the UK.
    Nah, it's just that cable is more prevalent in the US.

Thanks
    We happened to be having continual internet connection issues at the same time that we decided to switch to Vonage. So it all worked out very well for us, and it was really cool to see the "curative" effect that Vonage had on our internet service.

As Browni stated, we have both cable and DSL internet service here in the states. In fact, I now have DSL service, because I moved, and that's all that is offered where I now live.