Star Lounger
    Thanks

Clean install with new HD and different W7 version

I tried to upgrade my Win7 home laptop by replacing the HD with an SSD and an ISO image. While I was at it thought I would upgrade to the Pro version using a Win 7 Ultimate keycode that I own and is not installed. Install went fine, but the system will not take my keycode. Also tried a keycode from a Win 7 Pro that I own and that is not installed. Now what? Does MS somehow know that I was running Win7 home on this laptop before. I have read that some systems keep some info in the firmware. Do I need to format the SSD and install the Win 7 Ultimate or Pro first and then do the upgrade or am I stuck with the home version on this system? If I have to stick with the Home version I will have to start over since I used a Pro version ISO image to do the install. I can live with the Home version, I have been using the Win 7 Home for 3 years on this machine, just thought I would upgrade.

Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, GA

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To check to see if your key is valid, enter it into https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...nload/windows7 to see if it is accepted and allows you to download the ISO - otherwise you will need to contact MS as it may have been blocked for some reason.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a Win 10 install and was moved by someone. I started a new thread in W10