New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Computer Freeze

I am using a Dell desktop PC with Windows 7 and McAfee antivirus. All software is up-to-date. When the computer is first booted (or after a restart), the screen will freeze for twenty to forty seconds when I go to certain web sites. After this initial freeze the system works fine until the next restart and the freeze will reoccur. This will happen with Firefox or IE 11. For example, I can make it happen by directly going to some ESPN pages or http://tvgo.xfinity.com/tv-listings . During the freeze the mouse and the keyboard will not work. I was told that it could be caused by Adobe Flash and someone helped me uninstall and reinstall Flash but this had no effect. This problem also occurs in SAFE mode. The PC was previously working without problems and this first became apparent a few weeks ago. I have not added any new software except updates to existing programs such as Windows, java, McAfee etc. RWI

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While my mouse and keyboard didn't freeze on that website, it was difficult to scroll, so it could be because of the amount of content.

When your freeze occurs, have you tried hitting F5 to refresh the page, although that didn't make it scroll any better for me.

You could try it with Flash Player uninstalled, but not sure what you would get then.

Thanks
    http://tvgo.xfinity.com/tv-listings

It's also a huge webpage that updates regularly, it would be a good idea to allow it to load.
    At least when it comes to scrolling, it's much smoother and easier to wait until the page is fully loaded.

The OP should maybe increase his browser cache a bit more, or not elect to delete content upon browser's exit.

The mouse and keyboard should not be affected significantly by a browser loading, extremely anemic hardware may be at
    play, maybe.

Check the usual sources and also the event viewer for issues around the time of the incident.
    Look for freeze-up while in the OS exclusively and NOT while on the internet.
    You might also look to the manufacturer to see if you have the latest chipset, LAN, or wifi driver updates.
    JAVA can also be quite nasty and have unpredictable effects, consider removing it if it is not absolutely needed.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2016-02-10 at 14:42.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. Before I got a chance to try any of them, I decided to install this months Microsoft updates. After the install finished and I restarted, the problem was gone! Since it has been constant for the past few weeks, I suspect something was corrupted in last months update and got corrected with today's download. Possibly just a coincidence. I will have to wait and see if it comes back. Thanks Again. RWI

Thanks
    Now would be a good time to create a drive image.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.