5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A weighty round of Windows and Office updates

PATCH WATCH

A weighty round of Windows and Office updates

By Susan Bradley

In between welcome rain storms, daffodils are starting to bloom in my neck of California; so too are the Windows security updates. February's Patch Tuesday brings a veritable potpourri of fixes to Windows, Office, and .NET Framework.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/a-weighty-round-of-windows-and-office-updates/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2016-02-10 at 18:05.

Thanks
    Just curious if I missed something because I saw nothing about KB3123479, dealing with SHA-1 certificates. It was offered on my Win 7 pro computer but I waited until PatchWatch to see if it was yay or nay and I couldn't find it listed.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks once again Susan.

I have a couple of additional updates on both my Windows 7 machines, KB3127220 and KB3127233 which aren't mentioned. However, they are included in the linked MS16-019 list of .NET Framework updates and are therefore clearly recommended for installation.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Just curious if I missed something because I saw nothing about KB3123479, dealing with SHA-1 certificates. It was offered on my Win 7 pro computer but I waited until PatchWatch to see if it was yay or nay and I couldn't find it listed.
    That was covered last month, and was stated to be optional being intended for IT professionals. I hid it on both my home machines.

http://windowssecrets.com/patch-watc...and-windows-8/ (see "The case of the missing January update")

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tandor For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-02-11)

Thanks
    KB 3123479 might show up in Windows Update, but according to its information page, it’s intended primarily for IT professionals. It’ll mostly have an impact if you manually download patches from the Microsoft Download Center. At worst, it might confuse us slightly when we download files from the Web. Look for a separate article explaining the effects of this update.

- What to do: Install advisories KB 3118753 and KB 3109853 if and when prompted. KB 3123479 is optional.
    Thanks Tandor. So far I haven't seen the "separate article" explaining the effects.