New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 not downloading updates

Running Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (build 7601) 32 bit, Dell Dimension E521, with 4MB RAM

Have windows update set to check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them, and to give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates

Today (2-10-2016) it said 16 important updates are available. I selected all the important updates and started to download. It’s been downloading for 1 hour so far. The status bar is running and showing 0kb have downloaded so far.

My internet connection is good. I can open web pages in Firefox. I ran Speedtest with results of 18.4mbs download speed, and 8.72mbs upload speed.

Tried the Diagnostics Troubleshooting Wizard for Windows Update. Said it fixed problems, but Windows update is still not downloading any updates.

Never had this problem before. Would appreciate any help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Cancel out ("Stop Installation") and retry. One time glitches are not worth bothering with. Especially if it is on MS' end. If it happens again then we can suggest repairs to the OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I stopped the installation after 3 hours. The status bar had been moving but under the status bar it said “downloading 16 updates (0 KB total, 0% complete)”

I then rebooted the computer. Then ran Malewarebytes and it found no maleware. I then ran CCleaner and it cleaned out about 1.5 GB, mostly in trash and temp files.

I then rebooted the computer again and started windows update. It said “16 important updates are available. 16 important updates selected, 126.9 MB.” I selected all important updates and started the download and install.

After 5 hours the status bar was still moving and under the status bar it again said “downloading 16 updates (0 KB total, 0% complete)”

Thanks

Try checking DataStore.edb

If you navigate to the SoftwareDistribution folder and open the DataStore folder while it is saying "0 KB total 0% complete" and then refresh the folder every so often and it will show file DataStore.edb increasing if you are in fact downloading updates.
    But yeah 3 hours does sound a long time for 16 updates. Good luck with that Pete.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It took me about 40 minutes while I was working to do essentially the same (you had one more than me) yesterday.

Since it is repeatable, lets try one and see if it will work. The first one for me was KB3126587. Try a manual install of that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well finally got the updates but I don't know why. I didn't do anything I hadn't tried before. Instead I just left update running overnight. It took 18 hours and for some reason used up almost 1.5 GB of my data allowance, but the files themselves only totaled about 200 MB.

Microsoft is really pissing me off. I will never download Windows 10. I live in a rural area and it costs me over $200 per month for broadband access. My only other alternative is dial up with the fastest connection at 10 Kps. (notice that's kilobytes not megabytes.)

For me, anyway, Windows 10 is not "free" and I wish they'd stop pushing that shit on me.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try using the GWX Control Panel http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ to block it. I use the exe version.
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello. I have this problem too, no update !

Rebuilt machine, I installed a new motherboard and then loaded W-7 Home Premium. It runs fine and RJ45 too, any site is accessible. Any but the Microsoft update site. There was some instruction this morning on windows Secrets to D/L KB2775511 but it will not D/L at all.

Trying to install W-10 Insider, it gets going then "Getting Updates" just sits there, no action !

Is there a cure for this problem ? All fine wishes. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You know what ? That Acer finally got to the Windows software "Accept" screen, I obviously clicked on it and it looped right back into "Getting Updates" for Windows 10 Setup.
    This is getting to be a ruddy joke. 25 hours first time. Second time, ongoing after 4 hours, no action at all, still at 0%. The LED on the HD is flashing and on the router too.

Is there a cure for this problem ? All fine wishes. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Jean,

You have already started a thread in the Windows 10 forum about your issue - http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1046153. Please do not attempt to hijack this thread.

Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, respectfully begging to differ.
    One was about the W-7 setup not getting the updates. Cured ! It took a lonnnng time. This was here.

The other post is about W-10 doing the same trick, it is now, after quite a few hours, doing its own trick. Two different treads in my mind. Sorry for taking this space if you think that it was inappropriate.

There has to be a solution for this long delay and I was seeking it, it took place in two instances, I lived them both.

Respectfully submitted. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Jean,

You made one statement about Windows 7 not downloading one patch. Then you repeated almost verbatim your Windows 10 post.

Regardless, you should start your own thread and not step on top of another thread even though you think your problem is similar if not the same.

Joe