New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't delete "Windows.old" folder from C Drive

I have a "Windows.old" folder in my C:\ drive that I cannot delete. It tells me "Could not find this item. This is no longer located in C:\". This folder has six more folders in the directory tree that end with an empty folder. I cannot delete any of them because they cannot be found.
    My question is: Is there any way to delete this folder name from the C drive directory? It is not hurting anything but it still annoys me.
    I am running a Gateway DX4870 desktop pc with win8.1, 64 bit, 8 gb ram, 1 tb hd. I am attaching a couple of pictures to show what I am seeing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bellboy View Post
    ...My question is: Is there any way to delete this folder name from the C drive directory?...
    Run "Disk Cleanup" and click on the "Clean up system files" button. At least one of the choices should allow you to delete the "Windows.old" folder.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

bellboy (2016-02-11)

Thanks
    if the folder should remain, I'd check out, a freebie move on boot
    Last edited by BATcher; 2016-02-11 at 12:51. Reason: URL corrected

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cpwilson For This Useful Post:

bellboy (2016-02-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok guys, we have success! The "move on boot" program got rid of that folder. I ran the disk cleanup and clean system files with all the options checked. It got rid of a bunch of unneeded files but I still had the windows.old folder. Then I installed the move on boot program and when the system came back up that folder had disappeared.
    Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by bellboy; 2016-02-11 at 22:33.

Thanks
    glad it came through

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would caution one thing. I have seen at least one case where Windows didn't want to remove everything and it tracked back to some really oddball file that was still being used by something (in that case it was the AV program - the gods only know why). Forcibly removing the folder broke the program.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In this case it was an empty folder in the Favorites. I'm not sure how it got in the Windows.old folder but it was there and fouled up things. I guess it got there by an errant drag and drop of some Favorites files. Anyway, everything is still working properly so all is well after the deletion of those folders with the "move on boot" program.
    I wouldn't have been so willing to delete that Windows.old folder had it not been for the fact that I had just the day before made a system image with Macrium Reflect.