Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question After installing printer on Win7 we keep getting prompted to install device driver

A couple of days ago we installed an HP 4520 all-in-one wireless printer on a Win7 Home Premium PC. The printer is connected to the PC by USB cable. We do not have it set up for wireless.

We downloaded the latest software and drivers for the printer from HP and began the installation. During the installation we got the pop up asking for the Admin password so Windows could install device drivers. We cancelled that request thinking that it was Windows trying to install Windows drivers instead of the HP drivers. The installation of the HP software and drivers continued to completion. The printer and the HP software all appear to be functioning as they should.

However, now every time we log on to this PC Windows prompts for the Admin password so it can install device drivers.

Did we mess up the installation by cancelling out of the request for the Admin password and should we go ahead and accept it next time?

Will this then trigger another installation of the HP software and drivers over top of the current installation?

Or is it possible this will install Windows' own drivers for this printer instead?

I'm SO confused . . .

What would you do?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you put in a Admin password for the computer. Usually when you start up a new computer that acct has admin privileges.

Is there more then one user acct on the computer??? Win 7 shouldn't need really any help as far drivers go for printers. Mostly it's PNP

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    HP driver software tends to include a lot of unnecessary stuff and that may be what is trying to install.
    Can you provide the exact message?

You may be able to remove the install procedure from the machine start up if you can identify the program.
    Run "msconfig" from Start > Run and click on the Startup tab - don't change anything yet.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by waskelywabbit View Post
    Did you put in a Admin password for the computer. Usually when you start up a new computer that acct has admin privileges.

Is there more then one user acct on the computer??? Win 7 shouldn't need really any help as far drivers go for printers. Mostly it's PNP
    Thanks for your response.

We were running in a standard account, so no Admin password was entered at startup, and we didn't enter the Admin password when we got the Windows prompt about installing device drivers.

The PC has two standard accounts in addition to the Admin account.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    HP driver software tends to include a lot of unnecessary stuff and that may be what is trying to install.

You may be able to remove the install procedure from the machine start up if you can identify the program.
    Run "msconfig" from Start > Run and click on the Startup tab - don't change anything yet.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks for your response and advice. I will follow up later in the day when I have access to the PC.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you are installing anything from a standard account, it's usual for the computer to pop up with a UAC for you to authorize the install by entering the admin password.

I would uninstall/reinstall using the admin account.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post

cheers, Paul
    Exact message:

Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?
    Program name: Device driver software installation
    Verified publisher: Microsoft Windows
    File origin: Hard drive on this computer
    Program location:
    "C:\Windows\System32\newdev.exe"
    "00000001"
    \\.\pipe\PNP_Device_Install_Pipe_1.{b22de6
    "USPRINT\HPENVY_4520_series\&&143f9c4c&0&USB00 3"

We get this message every time the PC detects the printer, i.e., when we log on to the PC when the printer is on, when we turn on the printer or it wakes up from sleeping while we are logged on, etc.

I should mention that I first got this Windows UAC prompt while I was in the process of RUNning the latest HP device drivers and installation software that I had downloaded from HP. I ran that as a standard user, not as an Administrator. I did not enter the Administrator password at the Windows prompt because the 'Verified publisher: Microsoft Windows' line in the prompt led me to believe it was asking to install Microsoft's own generic drivers and not the HP drivers.

Thanks for any additional input you have to keep this prompt from appearing each time Windows detects the printer.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Additional information:

In the Startup tab for this PC the last (most recent, I assume) entry is:

Application: hpwuSchd Application
    Manufacturer: Hewlett Packard
    Command: C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe

A little time with Google finds a lot of recommendations to uncheck this item from Startup or to uninstall it altogether.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yep, HP bloatware.
    I'd un-install all the HP software and then just install the drivers, if required.

cheers, Paul

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-02-12)