New Lounger
    Thanks

Prefill duplicate value in multiple fields?

Hello. I am an Access noob, so sorry if this has been covered. Where I work, the only thing I use Access for is to denote how many orders, calls etc a given employee enters (29-39 employees depending on the day). However, for most of the 17 required fields, that entry is zero. Is there a way to prefill those fields without too much work please? My carpal tunnel is getting worse by the day and I have no choice but to enter the data or lose my good job. Thank you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, there is a way, and it involves setting a default value for each field. The most elegant way is to set a default value of zero for those fields in the table, assuming that the data is being stored in an Access table. If not, things get a bit more complicated, but you can set default values on forms as well. Provide more details on your situation, including what version of Access is being used, and we can give you more specific advice.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Wendell, thank you for the prompt reply and very sorry I didn't get back sooner. I'm working with Access 2010 within an Office 2010 Suite. I was hoping I could create a default value as you mentioned, but I know he will ask if it will corrupt or skew the numbers for the employee's monthly stats (we have several years worth of stats that are backed up nightly on to an off site server - if I somehow messed that up even though it is backed up automatically I'd be really up the creek). I do have to change the date in the date field because we stay backed up. But I can follow directions very well and love to learn. My supervisor was on a conference call for most of the day so I could not ask about what a table is, and I doubt he knows. He is very tech savvy like myself, but when we know we are out of our element, we both ask for help. I'll find out tomorrow and report back as soon as I can.

Thank you again!!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    What you could do is some VBA code in the Form BeforeUpdate event to loop through the fields and where any are Null set it to zero.