New Lounger
    Thanks

I want to use File History

I' a very experienced windows user

I would like to use File History for my data/file backup - Fred Langa and my testing have convinced me it's great and better than the third party software (Cobian Backup) I've been using for years.

However, I cannot use it as I need to. I can do backups just fine manually with it.

I backup 4 machines nightly to a NAS. The NAS is only online 2 hours a day, just for backups.

File History doesn't give me a time to backup option, just how many times a day. No matter what I've tried (12 hours, once a day, force a backup in the middle of the "server on" time, it seems to pick a random time and then not backup unless that time just happens to be in the window the server is on.

I hope my message is clear. Anyone have any ideas how to control the time of File History running my backups? Just can't leave the server on all the time.

marsha

Thanks
    If you've gone through all of these steps and you're still having issues, try
    running the system file checker tool (SFC Command) a few times.

I don't mean to sound patronizing, but you are backing up to another partition or drive right?
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2016-02-11 at 18:01.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm, certainly not clear why SFC would be any help - File History simply doesn't run during the time the NAS is on.

And I presume you know that a NAS is a remote server on the network, not a partition or drive, right? And yes, the File History goes to a specific share on the NAS and that works fine when it runs (manually).

marsha

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think you need to set File History to back up more often; e.g. the default of every hour. If the selected backup drive is not available then an offline cache on the C: drive is used until the backup drive becomes available. (Details with screenshots about halfway down one of Fred's first articles about File History; Understanding Windows 8’s File History.)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

mg1394 (2016-02-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was hoping to avoid that solution by finding a timer, but you are correct that it is likely the best solution at this time. Thanks much for the good thinking.

Marsha

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could always revert to Cobian, or another backup program - better than the Windows versions IMO.

cheers, Paul